iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
In the vast world of canine grooming, medicated dog shampoos have emerged as a critical tool for pet owners. Whether it’s to tackle skin infections, parasites, or allergies, the right medicated shampoo can significantly improve a dog’s skin health and overall well-being. However, with countless options available, it can be daunting to identify the best product for your furry friend. In this article, we delve deep into the top medicated dog shampoos, highlighting their benefits, ingredients, and what makes them stand out in a crowded market.
#1 – Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Medicated Shampoo for Dogs & Cats, 16oz – Helps Alleviate Scaly, Greasy, red Skin – Paraben, Dye, Soap-Free
The Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Medicated Shampoo is a pH-balanced shampoo designed to help alleviate red, scaly, greasy, and smelly skin in dogs and cats. It contains powerful ingredients that work to soothe and support healthy skin, providing fast relief from environmental stressors. This vet-recommended shampoo is paraben and soap-free, making it safe for your pet’s skin and coat health. It is intended for use on pets over 12 weeks of age and should be used twice weekly until the skin clears up, then once a week for maintenance.
#2 – Dechra MiconaHex + Triz Shampoo for Dogs, Cats & Horses (8oz)
The Dechra MiconaHex + Triz Shampoo is a medicated shampoo used to treat skin infections on cats, dogs, and horses. It contains ceramides which help moisturize, repair, and restore dry and damaged skin. The shampoo continues to work even after rinsing, and it is fragrance-free as well.
#3 – Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo, 16 oz – Paraben, Dye, Soap Free – Hydrating and Antifungal Shampoo for Dogs, White
The Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo is a specially formulated shampoo for dogs that helps promote healthy skin and coat. It works quickly to shed dry skin and hydrate the pet’s skin. Recommended by veterinarians, this pet shampoo is gentle and free from harmful ingredients like parabens, dyes, and soaps. It is pH-balanced and suitable for dogs, but not for cats.
#4 – Pet Honesty Chlorhexidine Shampoo – Ketoconazole & Aloe for Dogs & Cats – Helps Itching, Hot Spots, Irritation & Allergies, Sensitive Skin, Deodorizing Dog Shampoo, Dog Grooming Supplies – 16oz
The Pet Honesty Chlorhexidine Shampoo is a veterinary-strength solution designed to effectively treat skin issues in dogs and cats. The shampoo contains Chlorhexidine and Ketoconazole, which promote healing and help manage skin-related problems such as itching, hot spots, and allergies. With its gentle formula and soothing aloe ingredient, this shampoo cleanses, deodorizes, and moisturizes the skin, leaving behind a clean and shiny coat. It is made in the USA with high-quality ingredients and meets the highest safety standards.
#5 – Douxo S3 PYO Shampoo 16.9 oz (500 mL)
The Douxo S3 PYO Shampoo is a popular choice among U.S. veterinarians for dogs and cats with infections or inflammatory skin conditions. It claims to disinfect, hydrate, and support the skin’s ecosystem while reducing yeast counts in as little as 7 days. The shampoo contains ophytrium, a natural ingredient that helps strengthen the skin’s barrier and soothe irritated skin. Additionally, it is free from harsh chemicals such as soaps, sulfates, parabens, dyes, and nanoparticles. For optimal results, it is recommended to use the Douxo PYO Mousse alongside the shampoo.
#6 – TropiClean Medicated Dog Shampoo for Allergies and Itching | Tea Tree & Oatmeal | Pet Shampoo Derived from Natural Ingredients for Sensitive Skin | Made in the USA | 20 oz.
The TropiClean Medicated Dog Shampoo for Allergies and Itching is a pet shampoo formulated to soothe dry and irritated skin in dogs. It contains natural ingredients like oatmeal and tea tree, which provide effective relief from itching and leave a comforting scent. This medicated formula, approved by pet parents, is suitable for use on both dogs and cats 12 weeks or older and is free from parabens, dyes, soap, and cruelty. For complete relief, it can be paired with TropiClean’s hypoallergenic wipes.
#7 – Strawfield Pets’ Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo for Dogs Cats & Horses with Precipitated Sulfur for Itchy or Oily Skin Relief 16 oz / 474ml
Strawfield Pets’ Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo is a product designed for dogs, cats, and horses with itchy or oily skin. The shampoo contains sulfur, which helps prevent dandruff, scabs, sores, and smelly, greasy skin. It also works to alleviate symptoms of various skin and fungus problems. The shampoo’s benzoyl peroxide component softens the skin, cleanses hair follicles, and reduces bacteria and oil buildup that can cause acne. Additionally, it helps prevent skin infections and provides relief for allergies and itching. The formula is veterinary-strength and effectively controls scratching causes such as acne, seborrhea, yeast, dandruff, and greasy or oily skin. It also decreases oily skin, cleanses deeply, and fights yeast buildup and infection.
#8 – Pet MD – Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo for Dogs and Cats – Effective for Skin Conditions, Dandruff, Itch Relief, Acne and Folliculitis – Citrus Scent – 12 oz
Pet MD Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo is a product designed for both dogs and cats to address various skin conditions, such as dandruff, itchiness, acne, and folliculitis. The shampoo effectively relieves scaling and itching caused by dermatitis, skin infections, and follicular plugging, providing relief from scratching and discomfort. With ingredients like peroxide, micronized sulfur, and salicylic acid, the shampoo is a powerful cleanser that removes scales and oils from the coat, leaving pets with a fresh and clean citrus scent. It is manufactured in the USA, adhering to federal regulations to ensure quality and safety.
#9 – Arava Natural Medicated Dog Shampoo – Anti-Yeast Anti Itch Dog Shampoo – Healthy Skin & Coat – First Aid in Hot Spots Ringworm Scrapes Abrasions & Dermatologic Infections – 400ml / 13.5 fl oz
Arava Natural Medicated Dog Shampoo is a pet-friendly shampoo that is formulated with Dead Sea Minerals and 28 natural ingredients. It deeply cleanses your dog’s undercoat and helps reduce skin infections, making the fur shinier and promoting healthy skin and coat. The shampoo has a light, fresh scent and is suitable for dogs and puppies, but should not be used if the dog has an allergy to any of the natural ingredients.
#10 – GNC Ultra Medicated Anti-Seborrheic Shampoo 16oz | Dandruff Shampoo for Dogs | Anti-Seborrheic Shampoo for Itchy Oily Dogs with Dandruff & Scaly Flakes 16oz from GNC Ultra for Pets
The GNC Ultra Medicated Anti-Seborrheic Shampoo is a 16oz dandruff shampoo for dogs that helps control excess oil production and dandruff caused by seborrheic dermatitis. It contains salicylic acid to target itching, oiliness, dandruff, and scaling flakes on the dog’s skin. The shampoo is made in the USA and pH balanced to protect the dog’s unique skin, providing relief and promoting healthier fur.
What Are Some Reasons to Use a Medicated Dog Shampoo?
Medicated dog shampoos are specially formulated to address specific skin and coat issues that regular shampoos might not effectively treat. Here are some reasons to use a medicated dog shampoo:
- Skin Infections: Bacterial and fungal infections can cause itching, redness, and discomfort. Medicated shampoos with ingredients like chlorhexidine or miconazole can help treat these infections.
- Parasitic Infestations: For dogs suffering from fleas, ticks, or mites, medicated shampoos with insecticidal properties can assist in killing and repelling these pests.
- Allergies: Dogs with allergies might develop inflamed and itchy skin. Shampoos with hydrocortisone or oatmeal can provide relief by reducing inflammation and soothing the skin.
- Seborrhea: This is a skin condition where dogs might have flaky skin (dandruff) or an oily coat. Shampoos with salicylic acid or coal tar can help manage the symptoms.
- Hot Spots: These are localized areas of skin inflammation and bacterial infection. A medicated shampoo can help cleanse the area and provide relief.
- Dry or Irritated Skin: Ingredients like colloidal oatmeal or aloe vera in medicated shampoos can moisturize and soothe the skin.
- Deshedding: Some medicated shampoos can help in reducing excessive shedding by nourishing the dog’s coat and strengthening hair follicles.
Remember, while medicated shampoos can be beneficial, it’s crucial to consult with a veterinarian to diagnose the issue correctly and recommend the best treatment approach.
What Ingredients Would You Mind in Medicated Dog Shampoos and What Is Their Purpose?
- Chlorhexidine: An antiseptic and disinfectant, chlorhexidine is effective against a range of bacteria and fungi, making it ideal for treating bacterial and fungal skin infections.
- Miconazole: An antifungal agent, miconazole is specifically used to treat fungal infections like ringworm or yeast overgrowth.
- Ketoconazole: Another antifungal ingredient, ketoconazole is commonly used alongside other ingredients to address a broader spectrum of skin issues.
- Salicylic Acid: This helps to exfoliate and shed dead skin cells, making it ideal for conditions like seborrhea. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, helping to reduce skin redness.
- Coal Tar: Derived from coal, coal tar can help soothe itchy, flaking skin and is commonly used in shampoos for dogs with seborrhea or psoriasis.
- Benzoyl Peroxide: An antimicrobial agent, benzoyl peroxide is effective in treating bacterial skin infections and can also help open up and flush out clogged hair follicles.
- Hydrocortisone: Known for its anti-inflammatory properties, hydrocortisone can help reduce skin inflammation and itching.
- Oatmeal: A natural ingredient, oatmeal can help soothe and moisturize itchy, dry skin.
- Aloe Vera: This plant extract is known for its soothing and moisturizing properties, making it ideal for dogs with irritated or inflamed skin.
- Sulfur: Effective against mites, fungi, and bacteria, sulfur is sometimes used in shampoos for dogs with scabies or other mite infestations.
- Pramoxine: An anesthetic agent that helps to soothe and reduce itching sensations.
- Permethrin or Pyrethrin: These are insecticidal ingredients used to kill or repel parasites such as fleas and ticks.
It’s important to note that while these ingredients can be highly beneficial in treating various skin conditions, not every ingredient is suitable for every dog. It’s crucial to consult with a veterinarian before using a medicated shampoo, especially if your dog has known allergies or other health concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions About Medicated Dog Shampoos
- Why would my dog need a medicated shampoo? Medicated shampoos are formulated to address specific skin conditions in dogs, such as bacterial or fungal infections, allergies, seborrhea, or parasites. If your dog is experiencing itching, flaking, redness, or other skin issues, a medicated shampoo may help provide relief.
- How often should I use a medicated shampoo on my dog? The frequency depends on the condition being treated and the specific shampoo’s instructions. While some might be used several times a week initially, others might be used less frequently. Always follow your veterinarian’s advice or the product’s label.
- Can I use human medicated shampoo on my dog? It’s not advisable. Dogs have different skin pH levels and can react negatively to products formulated for humans. Always use products specifically designed for canine use.
- How long should I leave the medicated shampoo on my dog before rinsing? It varies by product. Some shampoos may need to be left on for several minutes to be effective, while others can be rinsed off almost immediately. Always read the label or consult with your veterinarian.
- Will medicated shampoos cure my dog’s skin condition? While medicated shampoos can provide relief and address symptoms, they might not cure the underlying cause. It’s important to identify and address the root of the problem with the help of a veterinarian.
- Are there any side effects of using medicated shampoos? Some dogs might experience skin irritation or allergic reactions to certain ingredients. If your dog shows any signs of distress or worsening symptoms, discontinue use and consult with a vet.
- Can I use medicated shampoo with other treatments or topical solutions? Many medicated shampoos can be used alongside other treatments, but always consult with your veterinarian to ensure there are no contraindications.
- Do medicated shampoos expire? Yes, like all products, medicated shampoos have an expiration date. It’s important to check the label and avoid using the product past its expiration for optimal effectiveness and safety.
- My dog hates baths; are there alternative ways to apply medicated products? There are alternatives like medicated wipes or sprays that can target specific areas. However, the efficacy might differ, so discuss with your vet to find the best option.
- Can I use a conditioner after using a medicated shampoo? If your vet approves, you can use a conditioner, but ensure it doesn’t counteract the shampoo’s benefits or irritate the skin further. There are also medicated conditioners that might complement the shampoo’s effects.
Conclusion: Best Medicated Dog Shampoos
Selecting the best-medicated shampoo for your dog is much more than a grooming choice; it’s about offering relief, comfort, and improved health to your beloved pet. While we’ve highlighted the cream of the crop in the medicated shampoo world, always consult with your veterinarian before starting any new treatment. Remember, every dog is unique, and understanding their specific needs will ensure they not only look their best but feel their best too.