Cannabidiol, more commonly known as CBD, has been making waves in the medical community for both humans and pets alike. Derived from hemp, this non-psychoactive compound offers a variety of therapeutic benefits without the high that comes from THC. As a dog owner, you might be considering using CBD to help your dog with issues like pain, anxiety, or inflammation. But if you have a larger dog weighing around 180 pounds, you might be wondering, how much CBD should you give?
The Benefits of CBD for Dogs
Before diving into the dosage, it’s important to understand why you might want to give your dog CBD. Research has shown that CBD may:
- Alleviate chronic pain
- Reduce inflammation
- Help with anxiety and stress
- Improve skin conditions
- Aid digestion
Recommended Dosage For A 180 lb. Dog
For a 180-pound dog, the general guideline is to administer 36 mg of CBD.
Note: Consider starting with a smaller dose and then observe your dog’s response. If you do not see any significant effect, consider increasing the dosage by 20-30%.
Types of CBD Products
There are various ways you can administer CBD to your dog:
- CBD Oil: Offers the most control over the dosage.
- CBD Treats: Convenient but may contain varying concentrations of CBD.
- CBD Capsules: Easy to administer but less flexibility in adjusting the dose.
- CBD Topical Creams: Good for skin issues but not effective for internal problems.
Factors to Consider When Determining Dosage
Certain variables can affect how much CBD your dog may need:
- Age: Older dogs may require a different dosage compared to younger ones.
- Health Conditions: The severity of the condition can influence the required dosage.
- Other Medications: Interactions with other drugs may require dosage adjustment.
How to Administer the Dose
You can give CBD to your dog in a few different ways:
- Directly Into the Mouth: Most accurate but can be challenging with a less cooperative dog.
- Mixed in Food: Easiest but can affect absorption.
- Applied Topically: For skin conditions or localized pain.
Monitoring Your Dog After CBD Administration
Once you’ve administered the CBD, it’s important to carefully observe your dog:
- Immediate Responses: Look for any signs of discomfort, digestive upset, or allergic reaction.
- Long-term Monitoring: Keep an eye on whether the CBD is effectively treating the issue it was administered for.
Veterinary Consultation is Key
Though CBD is generally considered safe, consulting your dog’s vet should be the first step for:
- Accurate dosing based on your dog’s medical history
- Identifying possible drug interactions
- Making adjustments to the dosage over time
Potential Side Effects
Though CBD is usually well-tolerated, it may cause:
- Mild drowsiness
- Dry mouth
- Lowered blood pressure
If you observe any of these symptoms, consult your vet immediately.
The Top Rated CBD Oil Recommended by iHeartDogs
iHeartDogs recently reviewed the best CBD oils for dogs and the best CBD treats for dogs. Our top rated oil is the Cannanine brand, which we love for it’s Clean Label Project approval and 3rd Party Testing for every batch. In addition, each and every bottle sold provides 7 meals for homeless pets!
For a 180-pound dog, the recommended dosage of CBD is 36 mg. However, it’s crucial to start with a smaller dose and monitor your dog’s reaction. If you see no effect, consider a 20-30% dosage increase. Regardless of any advice you find online, including this article, always consult with your dog’s veterinarian for the most accurate and personalized guidance—especially if your dog is on other medications. It’s better to proceed with caution and ensure the well-being of your furry friend.