iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
As an expert in feline health and nutrition, I recognize that many pet owners—whether of cats or dogs—are always on the lookout for safe and healthy treat options. Peanut butter is a popular treat not just for humans but also for our four-legged friends. However, it’s essential to ensure that the peanut butter you choose is free from xylitol, a sugar substitute that is toxic to animals. In this article, we will explore the best options for peanut butter without xylitol, keeping your pet’s safety and health in mind.
#1 – Pet Naturals BusyButter Easy Squeeze Calming Peanut Butter for Dogs, 6 Pouches – Great for Treats, Lick Mats, Training, Calming, and Occupier Toys
Pet Naturals BusyButter Easy Squeeze Calming Peanut Butter is a product designed to keep dogs calm and occupied. It combines peanut butter with ingredients that support relaxation, making it a useful tool for distracting dogs during times of stress. It can be used with fillable toys or lick pads, making it versatile for different types of play and enrichment. The product contains four proven calming ingredients and is made in the USA without added sugar, salt, or artificial ingredients.
#2 – BUDDY BUDDER Bark Bistro Company, Begging Bacon, 100% Natural Dog Peanut Butter, Healthy Peanut Butter Dog Treats, Stuff in Toy, Dog Enrichment, Pill Pocket for Dogs, Made in USA, (17oz Jars)
Buddy Budder Bark Bistro Company offers a 100% natural peanut butter treat for dogs called Begging Bacon. The product is made in the USA and contains only two ingredients: peanuts and honey, with no added artificial sugars, stabilizers, or salts. The peanut butter can be refrigerated to thicken and used as a stuffing for dog enrichment toys or as a pill pocket. It is suitable for all dogs, but pup parents should exercise discretion when introducing a new treat to dogs with sensitive stomachs.
#3 – Pumpkin Pup + Ruff Ruff Raw + Barkin Banana Buddy BUDDER, 100% Natural Dog Peanut Butter, Healthy Dog Treats – Made in USA (Set of 3)
The Pumpkin Pup + Ruff Ruff Raw + Barkin Banana Buddy BUDDER is a set of three 100% natural dog peanut butter that are made in the USA. The peanut butter is made with only two ingredients, peanuts, and honey, and does not contain any harmful additives or preservatives. It can be refrigerated to thicken for use in dog enrichment toys or as a pill pocket and can be enjoyed by puppies, adult dogs, and dogs of all sizes. The versatility of the product allows it to be used in various ways, such as from a spoon, as a lick mat, in baked treats, or in frozen treats.
#4 – Mighty Paw Bark’n Butter Peanut Butter for Dogs (2 Pack) | 100% Natural Single Ingredient Dog Peanut Butter. Dog Safe Peanut Butter Snack. Spreadable Peanuts for Pets. Made in USA
Mighty Paw Bark’n Butter Peanut Butter for Dogs is a 100% natural single-ingredient dog peanut butter made in the USA. It is made from ethically sourced peanuts and is free from harmful ingredients like Xylitol and Palm Oil. This peanut butter is not only a tasty treat for dogs, but it can also be used to mask pills for easy administration of medication. Additionally, it is a healthy snack option for dogs as it contains 9 grams of protein and healthy fats. The packaging is also eco-conscious and recyclable.
#5 – giv soft butter Dog Peanut Butter – Dog Treats – Dog Food for Pill Pockets for Dogs and Lick mat for Dogs – Dog Training Treats – Protein Snacks – Healthy Snacks 12oz jar
The Giv Soft Butter Dog Peanut Butter is a 12oz jar of all-natural dog treats made in the USA. It can be used as a dog pill pocket, puppy food, puppy treat, or training treat. The peanut butter is made with roasted peanuts and honey, containing only two ingredients. It is a grain-free and nutritious option for dogs, free from harmful additives such as hydrogenated oils, stabilizers, palm oil, salt, high fructose corn syrup, or xylitol. It is suitable for small and medium-sized dogs and can be used as a training tool or on a lick mat to keep dogs distracted.
#6 – DOG for DOG Prebiotic & Probiotics Peanut Butter for Dogs Pouch | Dog Food & Dog Treats Improves Immune System & Gut Health | Dog-Friendly Peanut Butter Treats for Itchy Skin – 6.2 Oz Pouch
The DOG for DOG Prebiotic & Probiotics Peanut Butter for Dogs Pouch is a nutritious and flavorful treat for dogs. It is specially formulated with probiotics and prebiotics to support their immune system, aid in digestion, and promote a healthy gut. Made with premium quality ingredients and manufactured to the highest standards, this dog-friendly peanut butter offers a tasty and healthy snack for your furry friend.
#7 – Zoomie Butter: Original Flavor 100% All Natural Dog Peanut Butter
Zoomie Butter is an original flavor of dog peanut butter that is made entirely from natural ingredients. It does not contain any artificial ingredients, preservatives, added sugar, or salt. This product is designed specifically for dogs, providing them with a natural and healthy treat option without any unnecessary additives.
#8 – Bark Bistro Company Relaxed Rover Buddy BUDDER (Stress + Anxiety), 100% Natural Dog Peanut Butter, Healthy Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Dog Treats, Dog Supplement, Made in USA (17oz Jar)
The Bark Bistro Company Relaxed Rover Buddy BUDDER is a 100% natural dog peanut butter made with only two ingredients – peanuts and honey. It is free from harmful additives and can be refrigerated to thicken it for use in dog enrichment toys or as a pill pocket. The peanut butter features active ingredients like L-Theanine, Valerian Root Extract, and Passion Flower Extract to help reduce stress and anxiety in dogs. It is suitable for all dogs, but pet owners should use discretion when introducing a new treat to sensitive-tummied dogs. This peanut butter can be enjoyed in various ways, such as from a spoon, on a lick mat, baked into treats, or used as a pill pocket for medication.
#9 – PAW Power Dawg Butter, All Natural Peanut Butter Dog Treats, Dog Peanut Butter for Puppies & Senior Dogs, Delicious Peanut Dog Treat Paste, Non-GMO Dog Birthday Treats, No Xylitol (Original)
PAW Power Dawg Butter is an all-natural peanut butter dog treat that is designed to satisfy your dog’s taste buds while promoting overall wellness. Made from GMO-free unsalted peanuts and blended with honey, this peanut butter spread is packed with protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. It can be served in various ways and is even recommended for hiding medicine. With no nasty ingredients, it is suitable for dogs of all sizes and ages, and comes in three delicious flavors.
Why is It Important to Choose a Xylitol Free Peanut Butter for Dogs?
Choosing a xylitol-free peanut butter for dogs is crucial for their health and safety. Xylitol is a sugar substitute commonly found in many sugar-free foods and dental care products, and while it is safe for human consumption, it is highly toxic to dogs. Even a small amount of xylitol can cause a rapid insulin release in dogs, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels). This can result in symptoms like vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and in extreme cases, it can be fatal. Additionally, xylitol has also been linked to liver failure in dogs.
Reading the ingredients list carefully when selecting peanut butter—or any treat—is essential to avoid accidental xylitol poisoning. Always opt for peanut butter that are specifically labeled as xylitol-free and made with pet-safe ingredients to ensure that you’re providing a treat that is not only tasty but also safe for your furry friend.
What Can Xylitol Do To a Dog Who Eats It?
Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs and can lead to a variety of severe medical issues, some of which can be fatal if not promptly addressed. When a dog ingests xylitol, it quickly gets absorbed into the bloodstream, leading to a potent release of insulin. This surge of insulin causes a rapid and significant decrease in blood sugar levels, known as hypoglycemia. The onset of hypoglycemia can occur within just 15 to 30 minutes of xylitol ingestion.
Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs can include vomiting, loss of coordination or difficulty walking, lethargy, tremors, and seizures. In more severe cases, xylitol can also lead to liver failure, which can manifest symptoms such as jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes), uncontrolled bleeding, and multiple organ failure.
Immediate veterinary intervention is crucial if a dog is suspected of consuming xylitol. Treatments usually involve inducing vomiting (if ingestion was very recent), administering intravenous fluids, monitoring blood sugar and liver enzymes, and other supportive therapies as needed. The prognosis can vary depending on the amount of xylitol ingested and how quickly treatment is initiated.
Frequently Asked Questions About Peanut Butters without Xylitol
- Why is it important to choose a peanut butter without xylitol for my dog? Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is highly toxic to dogs. Even a small amount can cause a rapid release of insulin, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, and even liver failure. Always opt for peanut butter that is xylitol-free to ensure your dog’s safety.
- Are all natural or organic peanut butters xylitol-free? While many natural or organic peanut butters are xylitol-free, it’s essential to read the ingredient list. Some brands may still use xylitol as a sweetener, so always double-check before making a purchase.
- How much peanut butter can I give my dog? The amount varies depending on your dog’s size, age, and overall health. Generally speaking, a small dollop as a treat is typically fine for most dogs. However, consult your veterinarian for personalized advice, especially if your dog has specific health issues.
- Can I use peanut butter to administer medication to my dog? Yes, many dog owners use a small amount of peanut butter to disguise pills or medication. Just make sure that the peanut butter you’re using is free of xylitol and other harmful ingredients.
- Is chunky or smooth peanut butter better for dogs? Smooth peanut butter is generally safer because chunky varieties may contain whole or chopped peanuts, which could pose a choking hazard, especially for smaller dogs.
- Can puppies have peanut butter? In general, it’s best to introduce peanut butter to puppies older than 6 months and only after consulting your veterinarian. Make sure the peanut butter is xylitol-free and offer it in small amounts to start.
- Are there peanut butters specifically made for dogs? Yes, there are peanut butter products specially formulated for dogs. These products are guaranteed to be xylitol-free and may contain additional nutrients beneficial for dogs.
- How should I store peanut butter for my dog? Store the peanut butter in a cool, dry place and make sure the lid is tightly sealed. Some natural peanut butters may require refrigeration after opening; consult the product’s label for specific instructions.
- Can peanut butter upset my dog’s stomach? While most dogs tolerate peanut butter well, some might experience stomach upset, especially if given in large quantities. Always introduce new foods gradually and consult your vet if you notice any signs of gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Can peanut butter be part of my dog’s regular diet? While peanut butter can serve as an occasional treat or tool for medication, it shouldn’t replace a balanced, nutritious diet. Peanut butter is high in fat and calories, and excessive consumption could lead to weight gain or other health issues.
Conclusion: Best Peanut Butter without Xylitol
In sum, while peanut butter can be a tasty and enriching treat for pets, the presence of xylitol in some brands can make it a risky choice. However, armed with the right information, you can select a product that is both safe and delicious for your pet. We’ve looked at various options that are xylitol-free and discussed the nutritional benefits and potential downsides of each. Whether you’re using peanut butter for training, as a medication disguiser, or simply as a special treat, always opt for a brand that is transparent about its ingredients and certified xylitol-free to ensure your pet’s safety and well-being.