iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
In recent years, the holistic health community has witnessed a surge in the popularity of hemp-derived products, not just for humans but for our four-legged friends as well. Hemp seed oil, distinct from CBD oil, is procured from the seeds of the hemp plant and offers an impressive array of nutrients, particularly beneficial fatty acids. For dog owners on the hunt for natural supplements to enhance their pet’s well-being, hemp seed oil is an avenue worth exploring.
NOTE: Hemp Seed Oils, while very beneficial for your dog’s health, do not have the same properties as full or broad spectrum hemp oil (aka CBD oil). Consider also reviewing our guide to the best CBD oils for dogs and the best CBD treats for dogs.
#1 – Just Hemp Foods All Natural Hemp Seed Oil, Cold-Pressed, Cold Filtered, 12g of Omega 3 & 6 Per Serving, 16.9 Fl Oz
Just Hemp Foods All Natural Hemp Seed Oil is a versatile and nutritious plant-based oil that contains 12g of omega 3 and 6 per serving. It is a rich source of essential fatty acids, including ALA, GLA, and SDA. This oil can be used in various recipes, such as pesto and dressings, to add a delicious nutty flavor. It is of premium quality, being non-GMO, cold pressed, unrefined, and hexane-free, with no added preservatives or dyes. Additionally, it caters to a variety of diets and lifestyles as it is gluten-free, vegan, kosher-certified, keto-friendly, paleo-friendly, and dairy-free. Just Hemp Foods is also committed to sustainability, being a Certified B-Corp with a net-zero carbon footprint.
#2 – NaturVet Hemp Seed Oil Krill and Salmon, 16 oz. Liquid, Made in The USA
The NaturVet Hemp Seed Oil Krill and Salmon is a 16 oz. liquid supplement designed to improve the health of dogs’ and cats’ skin and coats. It contains antioxidants and essential Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids to encourage a healthy coat and provide respiratory and joint support. This veterinarian-formulated product is made in the USA and has been trusted by pet owners since 1994.
#3 – EverRoot Dog Supplement by Purina, Calming Oil with Hemp Seed Oil – 16 oz. Bottle
The EverRoot Dog Supplement by Purina is a calming oil made with hemp seed oil for dogs. The supplement is non-GMO project verified and NASC certified, ensuring its quality. It includes omega 3 and 6-rich hemp seed oil for skin health, as well as a dogfish oil blend sourced from Alaskan wild-caught salmon oil and cod liver oil. The supplement also contains brain-supporting ingredients like EPA and DHA-rich omega-3 oil for dogs. For more information and product guarantees, customers can visit EverRoot.com.
#4 – Ultra Oil Skin and Coat Supplement for Dogs and Cats with Hemp Seed Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Grape Seed Oil, and Fish Oil for Relief from Dry Itchy Skin, Dull Coat, Hot Spots, Dandruff, and Allergies (16 Fl Oz (Pack of 1))
Ultra Oil Skin and Coat Supplement for Dogs and Cats is a natural and balanced supplement designed to relieve pets from common skin and coat issues such as dryness, itching, hot spots, dandruff, and allergies. It contains a blend of hemp seed oil, flaxseed oil, grape seed oil, and fish oil to provide essential fatty acids for healthy skin and fur. The supplement also aims to improve joint health and overall well-being, with ingredients that support cardiovascular function, immunity, and cholesterol regulation. It is formulated with natural ingredients and is non-GMO and dairy-free.
#5 – Wild Alaskan Salmon Fish & Hemp Seed Oil for Dogs 16 oz; Natural Liquid Supplement with Omega 3’s Support Joint, Heart, and Immune Health; Essential Fatty Acids Promote a Shiny Coat and Healthy Skin
The Wild Alaskan Salmon Fish & Hemp Seed Oil is a natural liquid supplement for dogs that promotes joint, heart, and immune health. It contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, as well as EPA and DHA, which help maintain a shiny coat and healthy skin. Made in the USA with wild-caught salmon, this supplement is loved by dogs and cats and provides balanced benefits such as increased energy levels and vision support.
#6 – Hemp Oil – Cold Pressed, Premium Quality – 12g of Omegas 3 & 6 Per Serving – Hydrate, Calm & Nourish Skin – Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free Hemp Seed Oil – Great for cooking, salad dressings – 12 Fl Oz
Manitoba Harvest Hemp Seed Oil is a cold-pressed, premium-quality oil that provides a plant-based source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. It can be used in various recipes, including pesto, sauces, salads, and dressings. In addition to its dietary benefits, hemp seed oil can also hydrate, nourish, and protect the skin and hair, making it a versatile product for both culinary and skincare purposes. It is also free from GMOs, vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and certified by various organizations for its quality and nutritional value.
#7 – Nutiva Organic Cold-Pressed Unrefined Raw Hemp Seed Oil, 24 Ounce, USDA Organic, Non-GMO, Whole 30 Approved, Vegan, Gluten-Free & Keto, Rich In Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids
Nutiva Organic Cold-Pressed Unrefined Raw Hemp Seed Oil is a 100% pure and nutrient-rich oil that contains a balanced ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. It is extracted using a cold press method without the use of harmful chemicals or heat, preserving the oil’s natural qualities. This oil is suitable for various dietary needs, such as vegetarian, vegan, paleo, and gluten-free diets, and can be used as a substitute for other oils in recipes. Nutiva works with Canadian farmers to source the finest organic and non-GMO hemp seeds, ensuring a sustainable and environmentally friendly product.
What Are The Benefits of Hemp Seed Oil for Dogs?
- Balanced Omega Fatty Acids: Hemp seed oil contains a perfect balance of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. These essential fatty acids can support heart health, promote a shiny and healthy coat, and enhance overall skin health.
- Natural Anti-inflammatory: The gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) present in hemp seed oil has anti-inflammatory properties. This can be especially beneficial for dogs with joint pain, arthritis, or inflammation-related conditions.
- Supports Skin Health: Hemp seed oil can alleviate dry, flaky skin and can offer relief from skin conditions like dermatitis. It moisturizes the skin and strengthens the skin’s barrier.
- Boosts Immune System: The fatty acids in hemp seed oil are essential for promoting a healthy immune system. A strong immune system can better ward off infections and diseases.
- Promotes Healthy Brain Function: The DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) in hemp seed oil can support brain health, potentially benefiting older dogs or those with cognitive dysfunction syndrome.
- Supports Cardiovascular Health: The nutrients in hemp seed oil can contribute to a healthy heart by regulating blood pressure, reducing cholesterol, and supporting overall cardiovascular function.
- Offers Antioxidant Properties: Hemp seed oil contains Vitamin E, a potent antioxidant that helps combat harmful free radicals in the body, promoting overall health.
- Aids in Digestive Health: The essential fatty acids can support a healthy gut, possibly helping with issues like inflammatory bowel disease.
- Sustainable Source: Hemp is often cultivated with sustainable farming practices, making hemp seed oil an environmentally-friendly choice for eco-conscious pet owners.
- Non-psychoactive: It’s essential to note that hemp seed oil doesn’t contain CBD or THC, meaning it won’t have psychoactive effects on dogs.
Before incorporating hemp seed oil or any new supplement into your dog’s diet, always consult with a veterinarian. They can provide guidance on the appropriate dosage and ensure the supplement complements your dog’s specific health needs.
What Are The Differences Between Hemp Seed Oil and Full or Broad Spectrum Hemp Oil?
Certainly, the differences between hemp seed oil and full or broad-spectrum hemp oil are crucial, especially when considering their use in pets:
- Source of Extraction:
- Hemp Seed Oil: As the name suggests, this oil is extracted from the seeds of the hemp plant.
- Full/Broad Spectrum Hemp Oil: This is extracted from the whole hemp plant – leaves, flowers, and stalks.
- Compounds Present:
- Hemp Seed Oil: This contains no CBD or THC. It is rich in essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamins.
- Full Spectrum Hemp Oil: Contains all the cannabinoids found in the hemp plant, including CBD and up to 0.3% THC (the legal limit). It also includes essential oils, terpenes, and other beneficial compounds.
- Broad Spectrum Hemp Oil: Similar to full-spectrum but processed to remove THC. It contains CBD and other beneficial compounds, excluding THC.
- Uses and Benefits:
- Hemp Seed Oil: Typically used for its nutritional benefits due to its balanced omega fatty acids content. It can also benefit the skin and coat of dogs.
- Full/Broad Spectrum Hemp Oil: Often used for therapeutic benefits linked to the cannabinoids (like CBD), such as pain relief, anxiety reduction, and inflammation reduction.
- Hemp Seed Oil: Generally, it is less expensive than full or broad-spectrum hemp oils because it doesn’t contain CBD or other cannabinoids.
- Full/Broad Spectrum Hemp Oil: Usually pricier due to the presence of CBD and the more complex extraction processes involved.
- Production Process:
- Hemp Seed Oil: Extracted using cold press methods, similar to how olive oil is produced.
- Full/Broad Spectrum Hemp Oil: Typically extracted using CO2 extraction methods to pull cannabinoids and other compounds from the plant material.
- Legality & Regulations:
- Hemp Seed Oil: Widely legal as it contains no CBD or THC.
- Full/Broad Spectrum Hemp Oil: The legality may vary depending on the THC content and regional laws. In many places, hemp oil with up to 0.3% THC is legal but always check local regulations.
When considering either oil for your dog, it’s essential to understand these differences to make an informed choice. Always consult with a veterinarian when introducing new supplements or oils to ensure they’re suitable for your pet’s specific needs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hemp Seed Oil for Dogs
1. What is hemp seed oil?
- Hemp seed oil is extracted from the seeds of the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa). It’s rich in essential fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants, but doesn’t contain CBD or THC, which are compounds typically associated with the cannabis plant.
2. Does hemp seed oil contain CBD or THC?
- No, hemp seed oil does not contain CBD or THC. It is derived from the seeds of the hemp plant, while CBD and THC are compounds found in the plant’s leaves, flowers, and stems.
3. How can hemp seed oil benefit my dog?
- Hemp seed oil can offer numerous benefits for dogs including supporting skin health, promoting a shiny coat, reducing inflammation, bolstering the immune system, and supporting heart and brain health due to its omega fatty acid content.
4. How do I administer hemp seed oil to my dog?
- Hemp seed oil can be added directly to your dog’s food. Start with a small dose based on your dog’s weight and gradually increase if needed. Always consult with a veterinarian for specific dosing recommendations.
5. Are there any side effects of giving hemp seed oil to dogs?
- While generally safe, some dogs might experience mild digestive upset when first introduced to hemp seed oil. It’s recommended to start with a smaller dose and monitor your dog for any adverse reactions.
6. Can hemp seed oil interact with other medications my dog is taking?
- Hemp seed oil is generally safe and doesn’t typically interact with most medications. However, always consult with your veterinarian before introducing any new supplement to ensure there’s no risk of adverse interactions.
7. How should I store hemp seed oil?
- It’s best to store hemp seed oil in a cool, dark place. Once opened, refrigeration can help preserve its freshness. Exposure to heat and light can cause the oil to go rancid.
8. Can I use the same hemp seed oil I use for cooking for my dog?
- Yes, as long as it’s pure hemp seed oil without any added ingredients or spices. However, products specifically formulated for pets might have dosing recommendations making it easier to administer.
9. How often should I give hemp seed oil to my dog?
- Most dogs can benefit from daily supplementation of hemp seed oil, but the exact frequency can depend on the desired benefits and your dog’s specific needs. It’s always best to consult with a veterinarian for a tailored recommendation.
10. Is hemp seed oil the same as fish oil for dogs?
- While both oils are rich in essential fatty acids, they are derived from different sources. Hemp seed oil comes from the seeds of the hemp plant, while fish oil is derived from fish. Both can offer health benefits, but they have different nutrient profiles.
Conclusion: Best Hemp Seed Oils for Dogs
Navigating the world of natural supplements for pets can be overwhelming, but with the rise in quality and research-backed hemp seed oil products, dog owners have a promising option at their fingertips. This nutrient-rich oil, with its balance of omega fatty acids and inherent anti-inflammatory properties, presents a holistic approach to ensuring our canine companions lead healthier, more vibrant lives. As always, while hemp seed oil holds potential, it’s crucial to consult with a trusted veterinarian before introducing any new supplement into your dog’s regimen.