Shelties, or Shetland Sheepdogs, are renowned for their keen intelligence, herding prowess, and stunning double coats. Originating from the Shetland Islands, they’ve become beloved companions in households worldwide. Training is vital to hone their natural abilities and ensure a harmonious relationship between pet and owner. If you’re the proud parent of a Sheltie puppy, you might wonder, “When should training begin?” Dive into this article to find your answers and also explore the exciting world of online dog training tailored for Shelties.
The Golden Window for Training for a Sheltie Puppy
Seize the Early Weeks: The journey to molding a well-behaved Sheltie starts as early as 7-8 weeks of age. This is a crucial period where puppies are incredibly impressionable, making it an opportune moment to instill basic commands and etiquette.
Socialization Matters: While Shelties might have a natural reservation towards strangers, early exposure to diverse environments, sounds, animals, and people can mold them into well-adjusted adults.
Harness their Intelligence: Shelties are brainy. Engage their minds from a young age through basic obedience training, puzzle toys, and gentle challenges to stimulate their intellectual curiosity.
Treading the Path of Delayed Training of a Sheltie Puppy
Postponing training can inadvertently invite a suite of behavioral issues. Some challenges Sheltie owners might face include:
1. Excessive Barking: Shelties have a strong vocal propensity. Without early training to control this, you might find yourself with a dog that barks incessantly, whether at passing vehicles, strangers, or for no apparent reason.
2. Timidity or Over-reactivity: Shelties can either swing to the extreme of shyness or become overly reactive if not socialized properly. This can translate into fearfulness or even aggressive behavior in certain scenarios.
3. Herding Everything: That herding instinct runs deep! Without channeling their energy, Shelties might resort to herding children, other pets, or even inanimate objects, sometimes using nips to “control” their flock.
4. Independence Overdrive: Though Shelties are loyal, they can develop an independent streak if not trained early. This can make them slightly obstinate, making subsequent training efforts a tad more challenging.
The Online Training Revolution for Sheltie Puppy
The digital era blesses us with a bouquet of online training resources, and here’s why they might be perfect for your Sheltie:
1. Tailored Pacing and Flexibility: Every Sheltie is an individual. Online courses allow you to navigate the training terrain at your pup’s unique pace, ensuring that learning is enjoyable and stress-free.
2. Wealth of Resources: Dive deep into a reservoir of training techniques, video tutorials, and expert advice. This vast access means you can cherry-pick methods that resonate most with your Sheltie’s temperament, ensuring efficient and effective training sessions.
The Only 2 Online Puppy Training Courses We Recommend
This comprehensive online puppy training program, designed by experienced trainer Steffi Trott, aims to help dog owners raise a well-behaved, social, and friendly puppy. The course provides lifetime access to over 70 lessons, including videos and an exclusive eBook, with a focus on critical behaviors like biting, potty training, and chewing. Participants can learn at their own pace from home, with the ability to ask unlimited questions to professional trainers. The program promises noticeable improvements in puppy behavior with just 10 minutes of practice per day. It comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee, lifetime personal support, and seven bonus mini-courses covering specific issues like hyperactivity and separation anxiety.
In addition to basic puppy training, this more comprehensive training class tackles any behavior problem you might face with your dog. It’s made in a very easy-to-follow video format.
The Sheltie, with its shimmering coat, alert gaze, and agile disposition, is a joy to both watch and train. Their innate intelligence and eagerness to please make them stellar students. However, like all good things, the foundation of a disciplined Sheltie lies in timely and consistent training. And as we navigate an increasingly digital world, don’t shy away from leveraging online training platforms. These platforms not only offer flexibility but also ensure you’re equipped with a plethora of techniques tailored to your furry genius. Remember, with the right training, your Sheltie will not just shine but also embody the epitome of grace, intelligence, and obedience.
The iHeartDogs Ask a Vet tool gives you access to verified veterinarians 24/7. Get professional help for your pup and feed shelter dogs now.
iHeartDogs is reader supported. Our articles contain affiliate links where we are paid a small commission for linking to a product at no additional cost to the reader.