Known for their gentle disposition, tricolor coats, and majestic stature, Bernese Mountain Dogs (BMD) are a beloved breed. Their undeniable charm is matched with a diligent work ethic and loyalty, typical of their Alpine herding and drafting heritage. Training a BMD puppy at the right age ensures they grow into well-rounded, obedient, and friendly adults. This article will guide you on the perfect age to commence training, potential behavioral issues from neglecting early training, and the benefits of online dog training for the Bernese Mountain Dog.
Deciding on the Best Age to Initiate Training for a Bernese Mountain Dog
1. The Golden Window: Starting from 7-8 weeks of age is generally advised for training Bernese Mountain Dog puppies. This stage is when they are most impressionable and capable of grasping basic commands and foundational behaviors.
2. Socialization: The window from 3 to 14 weeks is considered the socialization period. During this time, exposing your BMD to varied environments, sounds, and interactions with different people and animals will be crucial. This experience lays the foundation for a confident, well-adjusted adult dog.
3. Curbing Natural Instincts: While BMDs are generally gentle, they have a deep-rooted herding instinct. Early training ensures they understand boundaries and don’t resort to chasing or herding kids or smaller animals playfully.
Behavioral Challenges from Delayed Training of a Bernese Mountain Dog
Procrastinating training or neglecting it altogether can lead to several behavioral challenges:
1. Size and Strength Issues: Bernese Mountain Dogs grow to be quite large. If not trained from puppyhood, managing an adult BMD can become challenging due to their size and strength.
2. Separation Anxiety: BMDs are known for their deep attachment to their families. Without early training on independence, they may develop separation anxiety, leading to destructive behaviors when left alone.
3. Excessive Barking: While they aren’t typically loud, an untrained BMD might resort to excessive barking, especially if they sense a threat or are left bored and unstimulated.
4. Overprotectiveness: Without proper socialization, BMDs can become overly protective, especially around unfamiliar people or animals.
Embracing Modernity – Online Training for the Bernese Mountain Dog
Online dog training platforms have surged in popularity in recent years and for a good reason. For BMD owners, here’s why they are worth considering:
1. Breed-Specific Guidance: Bernese Mountain Dogs have particular behaviors and tendencies that general training might not address. Online platforms often offer modules tailored for specific breeds, ensuring the challenges and strengths unique to BMDs are addressed adequately. This specificity ensures that your dog’s training is efficient and effective.
2. Flexibility Ensures Consistency: With our busy lives, attending scheduled dog training classes might not always be feasible. Online training provides the flexibility to learn at your own pace, ensuring that your dog receives consistent training. Plus, the availability of various resources – videos, articles, interactive sessions – means you can revisit lessons and consolidate your puppy’s learning.
The Only 2 Online Puppy Training Courses We Recommend
This comprehensive online puppy training program, designed by experienced trainer Steffi Trott, aims to help dog owners raise a well-behaved, social, and friendly puppy. The course provides lifetime access to over 70 lessons, including videos and an exclusive eBook, with a focus on critical behaviors like biting, potty training, and chewing. Participants can learn at their own pace from home, with the ability to ask unlimited questions to professional trainers. The program promises noticeable improvements in puppy behavior with just 10 minutes of practice per day. It comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee, lifetime personal support, and seven bonus mini-courses covering specific issues like hyperactivity and separation anxiety.
In addition to basic puppy training, this more comprehensive training class tackles any behavior problem you might face with your dog. It’s made in a very easy-to-follow video format.
Training a Bernese Mountain Dog isn’t just about ensuring they follow commands; it’s about understanding their temperament, making the most of their intelligence, and building a bond based on mutual trust. Early training creates the foundation for a lifetime of harmony and understanding between you and your BMD. With the digital age upon us, online training platforms offer a flexible, comprehensive, and breed-specific approach, ensuring that your Bernese Mountain Dog grows into the gentle, loyal, and obedient companion they’re famed to be.
The iHeartDogs Ask a Vet tool gives you access to verified veterinarians 24/7. Get professional help for your pup and feed shelter dogs now.
iHeartDogs is reader supported. Our articles contain affiliate links where we are paid a small commission for linking to a product at no additional cost to the reader.