iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
In the sprawling world of dog treats, biscuits have held a steadfast position as a beloved staple for our canine companions. Not only are they crunchy and delicious, but they also serve as beneficial tools for training and rewarding. With an ever-growing selection in the market, choosing the best dog biscuits that marry taste with nutrition can be a daunting task for many pet owners.
#1 – Old Mother Hubbard by Wellness Classic P-Nuttier Value Box Natural Dog Treats, Crunchy Oven-Baked Biscuits, Ideal for Training, Large Size, 6 pound box
Old Mother Hubbard by Wellness Classic P-Nuttier Value Box Natural Dog Treats is a large, crunchy treat that dogs will enjoy. The biscuits are made with peanut butter, apples, carrots, and molasses, providing a tasty flavor. The crunchy texture also helps to clean dogs’ teeth. The treats are made in North America with high-quality ingredients and without artificial preservatives. Old Mother Hubbard has been providing great-tasting treats since 1926, and each biscuit is slowly oven-baked to preserve the natural flavors.
#2 – Nutri-Vet Hip & Joint Biscuits for Dogs – Tasty Dog Glucosamine Treat & Dog Joint Supplement – Large Sized Biscuit with 300mg Glucosamine – 6 lb
Nutri-Vet Hip & Joint Biscuits for Dogs is a dog treat and joint supplement that promotes healthy cartilage and connective tissue, while also supporting joint mobility in dogs. These biscuits have a tasty peanut butter flavor that dogs love, and they contain 300mg of glucosamine, which is more than other leading brands. Formulated by veterinarians and made in the USA with high-quality ingredients, Nutri-Vet supplements carry the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) quality seal, ensuring their reliability and effectiveness.
#3 – Blue Buffalo Health Bars Natural Crunchy Dog Treats Biscuits, Bacon, Egg & Cheese 56-oz Box
The Blue Buffalo Health Bars Natural Crunchy Dog Treats Biscuits, Bacon, Egg & Cheese are a nutritious and tasty option for dog owners looking to treat their pets. Made with real bacon, oatmeal, barley, and other wholesome ingredients, these oven-baked biscuits provide a satisfying crunch that dogs will enjoy. The treats are free from chicken by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial preservatives, and colors, making them a healthy choice for furry family members.
#4 – NATOO Small Dog Dog Treats, Crunchy Biscuits Coconut & Mango Flavor – Healthy Natural Dog Treats, Rich in Omega 6, Prebiotics & Fibers, Antioxidants for Immunity (Puppies & Small Dogs, 8 oz)
The NATOO Small Dog Dog Treats are crunchy biscuits with a coconut and mango flavor. These treats are made using an oven-baking process similar to quality human cookies, resulting in intense flavors and a nutrient-dense formula. The biscuits are designed to support healthy digestion with the inclusion of prebiotics and brown rice, while also providing long-lasting energy through wholesome grains. Additionally, these treats contain antioxidants from coconut oil for immunity support, and ingredients like biotin, zinc, vitamin E, and omega 6 to promote healthy skin and coat. They also help with dental health by reducing tartar buildup.
#5 – Buddy Biscuits Oven-Baked, Healthy Whole-Grain, Crunchy Treats for Dogs, 3.5lb
Buddy Biscuits Oven-Baked, Healthy Whole-Grain, Crunchy Treats for Dogs are a dog treat that is made with natural peanut butter and healthy whole grains. They are free of corn, soy, artificial flavors, and colors, making them a potentially healthier option for dogs. The treats are oven baked in the USA and made with minimal processing and simple ingredients.
#6 – Blue Dog Bakery Natural Dog Treats, More Crunch Large, Assorted Flavors, 18oz Box, 1 Box
Blue Dog Bakery Natural Dog Treats are a popular choice among dogs of all sizes. Made with natural whole wheat, real eggs, and nonfat milk, these treats are both healthy and delicious. They are specially baked with an extra crunch to help clean teeth, freshen breath, and support healthy teeth and gums. With no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or animal by-products, these treats are a healthier alternative. All ingredients are sourced from American farms, ensuring premium quality. Blue Dog Bakery Natural Dog Treats were the first all-natural, low-fat option to be nationally distributed.
#7 – Fruitables Biggies Dog Biscuits – Crunchy Dog Biscuits Made with Pumpkin – Healthy Dog Treats Packed with Real Fruit Flavor – Free of Wheat, Corn and Soy – Pumpkin & Blueberry – 16 oz
The Fruitables Biggies Dog Biscuits are a healthy and flavorful treat option for dogs. Made with real pumpkin and blueberries, these oven-baked treats offer both taste and nutrition. The biscuits have a crunchy texture that dogs enjoy, and they are free of wheat, corn, and soy. Additionally, these treats have a pleasant aroma that adds to the overall appeal.
#8 – Amazon Brand – Wag Expedition Human Grade Organic Biscuits Dog Treats, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Sweet Potato & Flaxseed, 10oz
The Amazon Brand – Wag Expedition Human Grade Organic Biscuits Dog Treats are organic, gluten-free, non-GMO dog treats made with sweet potato and flaxseed. These biscuits include omega-3 fatty acids to support the immune system and joints, as well as vitamin B6 to support the nervous system and brain function of dogs. Additionally, the treats contain fiber to support digestive function. They do not include artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives and can be used as treats, training aids, or rewards for dogs. The product is sold as an Amazon Brand.
#9 – Cloud Star Wag More Bark Less Crunchy Dog Treats Baked in the USA, Oats & Grains, Bacon, Cheese & Apples 16 oz. (Packaging May Vary)
The Cloud Star Wag More Bark Less Crunchy Dog Treats are a 16 oz. pack of treats that are baked in the USA. These treats are made with natural ingredients including bacon, cheese, and apples. They also contain healthy whole grains like rolled oats, flaxseed, barley, and wheat bran. The treats are free of corn, soy, artificial flavors, and colors. The treats are oven baked in the USA and are minimally processed, using only simple ingredients.
#10 – Cloud Star, Buddy Biscuits Bacon & Cheese Bulk Biscuits, 3.5 Pound
Cloud Star’s Buddy Biscuits Bacon & Cheese Bulk Biscuits are a 3.5-pound package of dog treats that are made with natural bacon and cheese. These biscuits are free of corn, soy, artificial flavors, and colors, making them a healthier option for pets. The treats are oven baked in the USA and made with healthy whole grains, while also being minimally processed using only simple ingredients.
#11 – Portland Pet Food Company All-Natural Dog Treat Biscuits Multipack (3 x 5 oz Bags) – Flavor Variety Pack w/ Bacon, Gingerbread & Pumpkin – Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Human-Grade, Limited Ingredients
The Portland Pet Food Company All-Natural Dog Treat Biscuits Multipack is a selection of three 5 oz bags of dog treats, each with a different flavor – bacon, gingerbread, and pumpkin. These biscuits are made with wholesome, natural ingredients and contain no artificial additives. They are suitable for dogs of all sizes and ages, including those with sensitivities. The treats are made in the USA and the company donates a portion of their profits to animal shelters and programs.
How Can I Choose a Quality Biscuit?
- Ingredients List: The ingredients should be clearly listed, and you’ll want to opt for biscuits with whole, natural ingredients. Avoid products with fillers like corn and wheat gluten, by-products, or unspecified meat meals.
- Protein Source: Look for biscuits that list a recognizable source of protein (e.g., chicken, beef, lamb) as one of the first ingredients. This indicates that the biscuit is more nutritious.
- No Artificial Additives: Avoid biscuits that contain artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Instead, opt for those preserved with natural substances like vitamins C and E.
- Limited Ingredients: If your dog has allergies or a sensitive stomach, biscuits with a limited number of ingredients can help reduce the risk of allergic reactions.
- Special Nutritional Benefits: Some biscuits offer additional health benefits, such as those designed to improve dental health, promote joint health, or support skin and coat health.
- Certifications: Some biscuits may come with certifications, such as “organic” or “non-GMO.” While these labels aren’t strictly necessary for a quality biscuit, they can offer an extra layer of assurance about ingredient sourcing and production practices.
- Company Reputation: Research the company behind the biscuit. Brands that prioritize sustainability, ethical sourcing, and transparent manufacturing processes often produce higher-quality products.
- Avoid Added Sugars and Salts: Dogs don’t need added sugars or excessive salt in their diets. Excess salt can be harmful, and sugars can lead to unnecessary weight gain.
- Calorie Content: If you’re using biscuits for training or frequent rewards, you’ll want to be mindful of the calorie content to ensure your dog doesn’t gain unnecessary weight.
- Feedback and Reviews: Reading reviews from other pet owners can give insights into the biscuit’s quality, palatability, and how well it’s generally received by other dogs.
Remember to introduce any new treats, including biscuits, gradually into your dog’s diet to monitor for any adverse reactions. And always consult with your veterinarian if you’re unsure about the best choice for your individual dog’s health needs.
What Are Some Red Flag Ingredients in Unhealthy Dog Biscuits?
- By-Product Meals: These are often inferior protein sources. The specific animal source isn’t always clear, and by-product meals can include parts that are less digestible for dogs.
- Artificial Preservatives: Such as BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene), BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole), and ethoxyquin. These chemicals can have potential health risks.
- Artificial Colors and Dyes: Ingredients like Blue 2, Red 40, and Yellow 5 and 6 are unnecessary and can cause allergic reactions in some dogs.
- Added Sugars: Ingredients like corn syrup, sucrose, or other sweeteners have no nutritional value and can lead to weight gain and dental issues.
- Propylene Glycol: This is used to maintain moisture in some dog biscuits but can be toxic in large quantities.
- Corn and Wheat Gluten: These are often used as cheap fillers but can be hard for some dogs to digest and are common allergens.
- Excessive Salt (Sodium Chloride): While some salt is okay, excessive amounts can be harmful to dogs.
- Generic Fats: Ingredients labeled as “animal fat” without specifying the source can be a sign of a lower-quality product.
- Chemical Humectants: These are used to keep biscuits moist. However, some, like glycerol monostearate, may not be ideal for your dog’s health.
- Rendered Fats: Like “animal digest” or generic “meat and bone meal,” these can be ambiguous sources of fats and proteins and might include low-quality ingredients.
Always keep in mind that individual dogs can have unique sensitivities or allergies, so even if a biscuit doesn’t contain any of these red flags, monitor your dog for any adverse reactions when introducing a new treat. If in doubt, consult with a veterinarian or a canine nutritionist to ensure you’re making the best choices for your pet’s health.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Biscuits
- What are the main ingredients to look for in a high-quality dog biscuit? Quality dog biscuits should have whole, natural ingredients, with a recognizable protein source listed first. Avoid by-products, fillers, and artificial additives, and prioritize natural preservatives and organic ingredients when possible.
- Are grain-free biscuits better for my dog? Grain-free options can benefit dogs with specific grain allergies or sensitivities. However, not all grains are harmful, and some grains like oats and barley can be nutritious. Always consult your vet to determine the best diet for your pet.
- How often can I give my dog a biscuit? Frequency depends on the biscuit’s size, caloric content, and your dog’s overall diet. Biscuits are treats and shouldn’t replace meals; ensure they only constitute a small percentage (around 10%) of your dog’s daily caloric intake.
- Are there biscuits designed for puppies or senior dogs? Yes, some biscuits are formulated specifically for life stages. Puppy biscuits may have ingredients to support growth, while senior options could contain joint supplements or be softer for easier chewing.
- Can biscuits help with my dog’s dental health? Certain dog biscuits are designed to help reduce tartar buildup and promote better oral health. However, they shouldn’t replace regular dental check-ups and teeth cleanings.
- Why do some biscuits have added vitamins and minerals? Added vitamins and minerals can enhance a biscuit’s nutritional profile. This supplementation ensures that your dog gets additional health benefits from their treat.
- Is there a risk of allergies with dog biscuits? Yes, some dogs can be allergic to ingredients commonly found in biscuits, like wheat, soy, or certain proteins. If your dog shows signs of allergies (itching, redness, digestive issues), consult your vet.
- Do dog biscuits expire? Yes, like all food products, dog biscuits have an expiration date. Always check the packaging and store the biscuits as recommended to maintain their freshness and quality.
- How should I store dog biscuits? Dog biscuits should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. To retain freshness, consider using an airtight container once the original packaging is opened.
- Are homemade dog biscuits better than store-bought? Homemade biscuits can be healthier as you control the ingredients, but they may lack certain preservatives and thus have a shorter shelf life. If making at home, always ensure you’re using dog-safe ingredients and consult recipes or vets familiar with canine nutrition.
Conclusion: Best Dog Biscuits
To cap it off, the world of dog biscuits is as diverse as it is delightful, with options to suit every palate and dietary need. As devoted pet parents, it’s essential to select biscuits that prioritize wholesome ingredients, ensuring that every bite is both tasty and nourishing. Remember, the occasional treat goes a long way in reinforcing positive behavior and cementing the bond between you and your furry friend, so make it count with the best biscuits in town!