iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Fish skin chips, chews, and treats for dogs are making a big splash in the pet world. With an irresistible taste and a crunchy texture that dogs love, these treats are more than just tasty – they’re packed with nutrition. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and naturally low in fat, fish skin treats support skin and coat health, help to reduce inflammation, and can be a great alternative for dogs with sensitivities to more common protein sources. In this article, we will dive deep into the world of fish skin treats for dogs, highlighting the best options on the market and explaining why these treats are making waves among pet parents and veterinarians alike.
#1 – PAWUP Cod Skins Dog Treat, Chew Fish Skins Rolls w/Taurine, One-Ingredient Grain Free Healthy Dog Treat, Rich in Omega3, 8 oz
The PAWUP Cod Skins Dog Treat is a one-ingredient, grain-free dog treat made from cod grown in the pollution-free Pacific Ocean. The cod is caught in compliance with sustainable fishing regulations and the product has been tested to human consumption standards. It is nutritious, rich in protein and Omega-3 fatty acids, and also contains added taurine for heart, eye, and joint health. The treats are delicious and crunchy, reducing tartar and plaque, and are made with healthy, natural ingredients free from artificial colors or fragrances. Customers can explore a range of delicious and healthy products from PAWUP and reach out with any questions or feedback.
#2 – Wild Eats Cod Skin Twists 2 oz. – Dog Treats, Dog Chews, and Dog Snacks (Single Ingredient, Sustainably Sourced, North Atlantic Cod Dog Treats, and Cat Treats) Perfect for Dog Training Treats
The Wild Eats Cod Skin Twists are a high-quality dog treat that is made from a single ingredient, sustainably sourced North Atlantic cod. These treats are free of fillers, added hormones, and antibiotics, making them a healthy choice for your pet. They are also a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which support various aspects of your pet’s health including their skin, joints, eyes, weight, and heart. These treats are loved by both dogs and cats and are a good alternative to other types of treats such as salmon skin chips and chicken jerky.
#3 – Arctic Paws – Collagen Chips – Wild – Grain Free – Dog Chew Treats – Natural Human Grade Dehydrated Fish Skins
Arctic Paws Collagen Chips are a type of dog chew treat made from wild-caught fish skins. These treats are grain-free and naturally dehydrated to preserve their quality. With a high collagen content of 30%, they are also sustainably sourced and hand-rolled, making them a single-ingredient snack option for dogs.
#4 – Wild Eats Salmon Skin Treats for Dogs (9 oz /12 ct) Dog Chews & Dog Snacks Single Ingredient Alaskan Sockeye Wild Salmon Freeze Dried Salmon, Wild Caught & Sustainably Sourced No-Hide Dog Chews
Wild Eats Salmon Skin Treats for Dogs is a 12-pack of single-source dog treats made from Alaskan Sockeye Wild Salmon. These all-natural dog chews are freeze-dried for freshness and do not contain fillers, added hormones, or antibiotics. They are a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids and are recommended for both dogs and cats. Wild Eats offers a variety of high-quality treats for pets.
#5 – Polkadog Crunchy Cod Skins Dog Sticks – Cod Skins treats for Dogs – All-Natural Pet, Dog Treats – Savory, Healthy Fish-Skin Puppy Treat – Alaskan Treats for Pets – 2 lb.
The Polkadog Crunchy Cod Skins Dog Sticks are all-natural and healthy treats made from locally-caught fish-skin cod. These dog sticks are hand-rolled and dehydrated in the USA, making them a great alternative for dogs with specific protein allergies. The treats are packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and fiber, providing the nutrients that your pet needs. They can also be shared with cats, as they enjoy the crunchy texture and savory taste. All of Polkadog Bakery’s pet treats are made in the U.S.A. using fresh and locally-sourced ingredients.
#6 – Icelandic+ Plus Cod Skin Rolls Dog Treat 3-oz Bag
The Icelandic+ Plus Cod Skin Rolls Dog Treat is a natural and crunchy treat made from pure, sustainably sourced Icelandic fish. It contains no additives, preservatives, or supplements, making it a healthy option for dogs. The treat is full of Omega-3 fatty acids, which contribute to healthy skin and shiny coat, and it is air-dried in the same manner as the Vikings did in 900 A.D. Overall, it is an edible, digestible, and 100% natural option for pet owners.
#7 – ASMPET Fish Skin Dog Treats Chicken & Duck Wrapped Cod Skin Stick, Dog Chewy Treats with Taurine, Natural Dehydrated Grain Free Training Snacks Omega3 Fish Treats for Small Medium Large Dogs, 11 OZ
The ASMPET Fish Skin Dog Treats Chicken & Duck Wrapped Cod Skin Stick is a natural and nutritious option for dog owners looking for a grain-free training snack. Made with premium quality chicken and duck, the treats are wrapped in cod skin and contain no artificial colors or additives. They are high in protein and also offer benefits for skin, coat, brain, and eye health. Additionally, the treats support dental health by reducing plaque and tartar buildup. The resealable zippered pouch makes it easy to carry the treats on outings.
#8 – TickledPet Fish Skin Dog Treats – Icelandic Wild Caught Cod – Single Ingredient Grain-Free Chews
TickledPet Fish Skin Dog Treats are a natural and nutritious option for dogs. Made from dehydrated wild-caught Icelandic cod, these treats are packed with omega-3s to support overall well-being and vitality. They also promote dental health by cleaning teeth and supporting healthy gums. With human-grade quality and a commitment to using only single ingredients, these treats are a pure and wholesome option for your furry friend.
#9 – Pawmate 10.6OZ Fish Skins Dog Treats, All-Natural Chew Cod Skin Rolls, Rawhide Free Natural One-Ingredient Healthy Dog Treat, Rich in Omega3 & Protein
Pawmate Fish Skins Dog Treats are all-natural, rawhide-free dog treats made from cod skin. They are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and protein, promoting healthy skin and a shiny coat. These treats can also be used as training rewards or to calm dogs down, while also reducing plaque and tartar build-up for better dental health. However, it is important to note that the treats can be crispy and may produce crumbs during consumption, so they should be fed in an appropriate area to avoid soiling rugs.
#10 – Polkadog Crunchy Cod Skins Dog Sticks – Cod Skins Treats for Dogs – All-Natural Pet, Dog Treats – Savory, Healthy Fish-Skin Puppy Treat – Locally-Sourced Alaskan treats for Pets – 4.7 oz.
The Polkadog Crunchy Cod Skins Dog Sticks are locally caught in Alaska and hand-rolled and dehydrated in the USA. These dog treats are made with limited ingredients and are packed full of Omega-3 fatty acids, making them a healthy choice for puppies and senior dogs. The savory taste and crunchy texture make these treats enjoyable for both dogs and cats, and they are made with fresh and locally-sourced ingredients in the USA.
#11 – Icelandic+ Plus Cod Skin 5″ Short Hand Wrapped Dog Chew Stick, 3-Pack, 2.8-oz Bag
The Icelandic+ Plus Cod Skin 5″ Short Hand Wrapped Dog Chew Stick is a 3-pack of dog treats made from sustainably sourced Icelandic fish that are fully digestible. These treats have less smell compared to other fish treats available and are designed to reduce plaque and tartar build-up, promoting better dental health for dogs. They are also packed with protein and Omega-3 fatty acids, which contribute to healthy skin and a shiny coat for dogs. Additionally, these treats are air-dried, following a traditional Viking method used in 900 A.D.
#12 – Savory Prime Cod Skin Fish Strips, 16-Ounce, No Artificial Color, All Breed Sizes (62016)
The Savory Prime Cod Skin Fish Strips is a 16-ounce package made from 100% Pacific and Atlantic cod fish skin. They are an all-natural, high-protein treat for dogs of all breed sizes. These fish strips are gluten-free and hypo-allergenic, containing omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which can help reduce tartar and plaque buildup on dogs’ teeth.
#13 – Icelandic+ Plus Wolffish Skin Stick Chews Dog Treat 3.0-oz Bag
The Icelandic+ Plus Wolffish Skin Stick Chews Dog Treat is a 3.0-oz bag of dog treats made from pure, sustainably sourced fish from Iceland. These treats are completely digestible and have a lower smell compared to other fish treats on the market. They also aid in reducing plaque and tartar build-up, promoting good dental health for dogs. Additionally, these treats are rich in protein and Omega-3 fatty acids, which contribute to healthy skin and a shiny coat for dogs. Lastly, the treats are air-dried, following a traditional Viking method used in the 900 A.D. period.
What Should I Look for When Choosing a Fish Skin Chew for My Dog?
When choosing a fish skin chew for your dog, it’s important to consider several factors to ensure that the treat is safe, nutritious, and enjoyable for your pet. Here are some key considerations:
- Source of the Fish: Look for treats made from fish that are sustainably sourced. Knowing where the fish comes from and how it was caught or farmed is essential. Opt for companies that are transparent about their sourcing practices.
- Ingredients: The best fish skin chews are made with minimal, natural ingredients. Look for products that list fish skin as the first and primary ingredient. Avoid treats that contain artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors.
- Nutritional Content: Check the label for the nutritional breakdown. Fish skin is naturally rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for your dog’s skin and coat. Ensure the treat is high in Omega-3s and low in fat.
- Size and Texture: Choose a size and texture that is appropriate for your dog. Smaller dogs may need smaller, softer chews, while larger dogs might enjoy a larger, tougher chew. The chew should be large enough to encourage prolonged chewing but not so small that it can be swallowed whole.
- Digestibility: Look for chews that are easily digestible, especially if your dog has a sensitive stomach or is prone to digestive issues.
- Safety of the Product: Make sure the product is free from bones and scales that could potentially harm your dog. It should also be tested for contaminants like heavy metals and bacteria.
- Brand Reputation: Choose treats from a reputable company that has high standards for quality and safety. Look for brands that have received positive reviews from other pet owners and veterinarians.
- Price and Value: While you don’t necessarily need the most expensive option, it’s important to find a product that offers good value for the price. Cheap fish skin chews might not meet the same quality and safety standards as more premium options.
- Packaging and Preservation: Opt for treats that are sealed in airtight, resealable packaging to maintain freshness. Check the expiration date to ensure the product is fresh.
- Your Dog’s Preferences and Needs: Finally, consider your dog’s taste preferences and any specific health needs. If your dog has allergies or sensitivities to certain proteins, make sure the fish skin chews are compatible with their diet.
Frequently Asked Questions About Fish Skin Chews, Treats, and Ships for Dogs
- Are fish skin chews safe for my dog? Fish skin chews are generally safe for dogs and are a natural and nutritious alternative to rawhide or synthetic chews. Ensure they are sourced from reputable companies that adhere to high safety standards and are free from bones and scales. Always supervise your dog when they are chewing to prevent choking.
- Do fish skin chews have a strong odor? Fish skin chews do have a fishy odor, which is often more noticeable to humans than to dogs. Dogs usually find the smell very appealing, but if the scent is too strong for your liking, look for brands that process their chews to minimize odor.
- What are the nutritional benefits of fish skin chews for dogs? Fish skin is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which support skin and coat health, reduce inflammation, and promote overall wellness. They are generally low in fat and calories, making them a healthy treat option.
- Are fish skin chews good for dogs with allergies? Fish is a novel protein for many dogs and is less likely to cause allergies compared to common proteins like chicken or beef. Fish skin chews can be a great option for dogs with sensitivities to other proteins.
- How often should I give my dog fish skin chews? Fish skin chews should be given as a treat, not as a meal replacement. Aim to give them in moderation, considering your dog’s size, overall diet, and activity level. Consult your vet for specific recommendations.
- Can fish skin chews help with my dog’s dental health? Yes, fish skin chews can help remove plaque and tartar from your dog’s teeth as they chew, promoting healthier gums and reducing bad breath.
- Where should I buy fish skin chews for my dog? Look for fish skin chews at reputable pet stores, veterinary clinics, or through trusted online retailers. Ensure the company is transparent about their sourcing and adheres to high safety standards.
- Are fish skin chews suitable for puppies? Fish skin chews can be suitable for puppies, but it is essential to choose a size and texture appropriate for your puppy’s age and chewing ability. Always supervise your puppy when they are chewing and consult your vet before introducing a new type of treat.
- Do fish skin chews expire? Yes, like all dog treats, fish skin chews do have an expiration date. Check the packaging for this information and ensure they are stored as directed to maintain freshness.
- How can I tell if a fish skin chew is of high quality? High-quality fish skin chews are made from pure fish skin without added preservatives or artificial ingredients. Look for products that are clearly labeled, sourced from sustainable fisheries, and have undergone testing for safety and quality.
Conclusion: Best Fish Skin Chips, Chews, and Treats for Dogs
In conclusion, fish skin chips, chews, and treats for dogs are a wonderful addition to your pet’s treat repertoire. They are not only delicious and satisfying for your furry friend but also offer a wealth of health benefits, from nourishing the skin and coat to providing anti-inflammatory properties through their high Omega-3 content. As with all treats, it is essential to feed fish skin treats in moderation and as part of a balanced diet. Before making any significant changes to your dog’s nutrition, always consult with a trusted veterinarian. Dive into the options, and you might just find that fish skin treats are the perfect way to reward your pooch in a healthy and nutritious manner.