iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
For those of us who find solace in the great outdoors, having our canine companions by our side elevates the experience. As we tackle rugged terrains, breathe the fresh mountain air, and bask in nature’s beauty, it’s essential to have the right sustenance not just for ourselves but also for our furry friends. Just as we need energy-boosting snacks, our dogs too require treats tailored to their needs during these adventures. This article delves into the best dog treats to pack for hiking, ensuring your pup stays energized, satisfied, and ready to explore.
#1 – Smart Cookie All Natural Dog Treats – Healthy Endurance Beef Biscuits for Active Dogs – Ideal for Sensitive Stomachs – Grain-Free, Dehydrated, Crunchy, Human-Grade, Made in The USA – 8oz Bag
The Smart Cookie All Natural Dog Treats are a healthy option for active dogs, particularly those with sensitive stomachs. These grain-free, dehydrated biscuits are made with simple, human-grade ingredients that are good for dogs. The treats are made in the USA, with a focus on using high-quality, real meats as the first ingredient.
#2 – Charlee Bear Meaty Bites Dog Treats, Chicken & Blueberries, 5oz
Charlee Bear Meaty Bites Dog Treats are a chicken and blueberry flavored treat that dogs are sure to enjoy. These treats are made without any wheat, soy, corn, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. They are freeze-dried to retain their nutritional value and flavor and are made in the USA by a family-owned company. Additionally, these treats are infused with superfoods for added health benefits.
#3 – OTIS Venison Jerky for Dogs | Protein Packed, Pasture-Raised, Grass-Fed Venison Jerky Dog Treats Healthy Dog Treats – Wild Things | 4 Ounce Bag
OTIS Venison Jerky for Dogs is a 4-ounce bag of protein-packed, soft and hearty jerky treats made from sustainable, pasture-raised, and ethically-sourced venison. These healthy dog treats contain no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, and are made with venison as the first ingredient, along with venison livers. Additionally, the treats include upcycled flaxseeds to help reduce waste.
#4 – Duck Fillets (Pack of 2) – Duck Jerky Dog Treats – Made with Human-Grade, Real Duck & Ingredients – High Protein Duck Treats for Dogs – No Artificial Flavors & Preservatives (Duck FILLETS)
Dog Fest offers a pack of two duck fillets that are made with real, human-grade duck and ingredients. These high protein treats are free of artificial flavors and preservatives, promoting the well-being of dogs. The resealable package ensures that the duck tenders stay fresh, making them a great option for rewarding dogs or serving as snacks.
#5 – Blue Buffalo Wilderness Trail Treats Wild Bites High Protein Grain Free Soft-Moist Dog Treats, Salmon 4-oz Bag
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Trail Treats Wild Bites are salmon-flavored dog treats that are made with real salmon and other nutritious ingredients like potatoes and peas. These treats are 100% grain free and do not contain any gluten, chicken or poultry by-product meals, or corn, wheat, or soy. They are crafted with high-quality natural ingredients enriched with vitamins and minerals to provide a healthy and satisfying snack for dogs. Each bag contains 4 ounces of these soft and moist treats.
#6 – Zoe Super Bars Beef Recipe Dog Treats – Protein Packed Snacks with Berries and Flax Grain Gluten Free 32 oz Bag Big of Made The Finest Ingredients, 2 Pound (Pack 1)
Zoe Super Bars Beef Recipe Dog Treats offer a protein-packed snack option for dogs that is free from gluten and grains. These treats are made with high-quality ingredients and include the added goodness of berries and flax. The 32 oz bag is resealable, ensuring freshness over time.
#7 – PetPlate Chicken Apple Sausage Bites, Human Grade Dog Treats, Pet Treats for All Life Stages, Dog Treats, Grain-Free, Organic and Real Ingredients, High Protein, Healthy Snacks (Pack of 1, 4.5 Ounce)
PetPlate Chicken Apple Sausage Bites are high-quality, vet-designed dog treats made with only six wholesome ingredients. These treats are perfect for training, rewarding, or simply treating your dog. They are grain-free, organic, and made with human-grade ingredients, including organic apples, chicken, and pumpkin. These delicious treats are designed to help maintain mobility and increase activity levels in dogs of all life stages.
What Should I Consider When Buying a Dog Treat for Hiking?
- Energy Content: Hiking can be physically demanding, so it’s crucial to select treats that are rich in energy. Look for treats with high-quality proteins and healthy fats to give your dog the stamina they need for the trail.
- Portability: You’ll want something that’s easy to carry and doesn’t crumble or spoil easily. Treats that come in resealable bags or containers will help maintain freshness throughout your hike.
- Digestibility: Since you’re on the move, it’s vital to select treats that your dog can easily digest to prevent gastrointestinal upset. Avoid treats with too many fillers or unfamiliar ingredients.
- Hydration: While not a treat per se, ensuring your dog stays hydrated is crucial. Consider bringing along dog-friendly hydration solutions or treats that can aid in hydration, especially if you’re hiking in warmer climates.
- Size and Frequency: Choose treats that are appropriately sized for your dog, and remember, you’re giving these in addition to their regular meals. It’s okay to provide treats more frequently during intense physical activity, but ensure it doesn’t lead to overfeeding.
- Natural Ingredients: As always, opt for treats with natural ingredients. Avoid those with artificial additives, preservatives, or too much sugar and salt, which can be dehydrating.
- Functional Benefits: Some treats offer additional health benefits, like joint support or calming properties, which might be helpful depending on the hiking environment and your dog’s needs.
- Allergens and Dietary Restrictions: If your dog has specific allergies or dietary restrictions, always check the ingredients list to ensure the treat is safe for them.
- Packaging Waste: Since you’ll be in nature, consider the environmental impact of the treat’s packaging. Opt for treats with minimal or biodegradable packaging, ensuring you leave no trace behind.
- Feedback from Other Hikers: Sometimes, the best advice comes from fellow hikers. Check reviews or ask in hiking forums or groups for recommendations on tried-and-true hiking treats for dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Treats for Hiking
- Why do dogs need special treats for hiking?
Hiking demands more energy and stamina from dogs than their regular activities. Specialized hiking treats provide the necessary nutrients to sustain their energy, ensure muscle health, and replenish lost nutrients during strenuous hikes.
- How often should I give my dog treats during a hike?
It depends on the hike’s intensity and duration. Generally, offering a treat every hour or after significant physical exertion can help maintain their energy levels. Always monitor your dog’s energy and behavior to determine the right frequency.
- Are high-protein treats best for hiking?
High-protein treats can be beneficial as they provide sustained energy and support muscle health. However, a balance of proteins, fats, and some carbohydrates is ideal for comprehensive nutritional support during physical activities.
- Can I share my energy bars or snacks with my dog?
Not always. While some ingredients in human snacks might be safe, others, like chocolate, certain nuts, or xylitol (a sweetener), can be toxic to dogs. Always ensure any shared food is dog-safe.
- Do dogs need hydration treats during hikes?
While hydration treats can supplement water intake, they shouldn’t replace the regular water supply. It’s crucial to carry enough fresh water for both you and your dog, especially on warmer days or during longer hikes.
- What treat size is ideal for hiking?
Opt for bite-sized treats that are easy to carry and can be consumed quickly. This minimizes the interruption during the hike and ensures your dog doesn’t get too full at once.
- Can I rely solely on treats to feed my dog during long hikes?
No. While treats can supplement their energy intake, they shouldn’t replace meals. If you’re on an extended hike or multi-day adventure, ensure you pack your dog’s regular food.
- How can I ensure the treats don’t spoil during the hike?
Choose treats that are dry and have low moisture content to prevent spoilage. Also, consider using resealable bags or containers to maintain freshness.
- Are there any DIY recipes for hiking dog treats?
Absolutely! Many dog owners prepare homemade treats using ingredients like lean meats, oats, sweet potatoes, and other dog-safe ingredients. These can be tailored to your dog’s preferences and nutritional needs.
- My dog has a sensitive stomach. What should I consider?
Opt for hypoallergenic treats or those formulated for sensitive stomachs. It’s also a good idea to try any new treats at home first to ensure they don’t cause any digestive issues before taking them on a hike.
Conclusion: Best Dog Treats for Hiking
Concluding our journey through the landscape of hiking-friendly dog treats, it’s clear that the right snack can make all the difference. From providing the necessary energy bursts to keeping them motivated during the long trails, these treats are more than just rewards; they’re essential gear. As you prepare for your next hiking expedition, ensure your backpack has room for these treats, letting your canine adventurer enjoy the trails as much as you do. After all, shared adventures are always the most memorable.