iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Probiotics play a crucial role in supporting the health and vitality of your canine companion. They assist in maintaining a healthy digestive system, boost immune function, and even enhance skin and coat health. When it comes to delivering these benefits, probiotic pastes and gels can be an incredibly effective choice. Easy to administer and often offering faster absorption, these probiotic forms have become increasingly popular among pet parents. In this article, we will explore the best probiotic pastes and gels for dogs, breaking down their benefits, and ingredients, and how to choose the right one for your furry friend.
#1 – Vetoquinol Pro-Pectalin Oral Paste for Dogs & Cats – Chicken Flavor – Helps Reduce Occasional Loose Stool & Diarrhea, Balance Gut pH, Support Normal Digestion & Intestinal Flora
The Vetoquinol Pro-Pectalin Oral Paste is a chicken-flavored gel designed for dogs and cats experiencing loose stool and diarrhea from stress, diet, and environmental changes. It contains kaolin, pectin, and Enterococcus faecium, which work together to firm stool, improve digestion, soothe the digestive system, restore intestinal bacteria, and balance gut pH. Additionally, this oral paste includes probiotics that aid in nutrient absorption, support digestive health, and promote healthy intestinal flora.
#2 – Vetoquinol Pro-Pectalin Oral Paste for Dogs & Cats – Chicken Flavor – Helps Reduce Occasional Loose Stool & Diarrhea, Balance Gut pH, Support Normal Digestion & Intestinal Flora
The Vetoquinol Pro-Pectalin Oral Paste is a product designed for dogs and cats that helps reduce occasional loose stool and diarrhea. It is formulated to balance gut pH, support normal digestion, and restore intestinal flora. The paste contains ingredients like kaolin and pectin to firm stool and absorbs toxins, as well as probiotics to aid in nutrient absorption and support overall digestive health. The chicken-flavored gel is appealing to pets and can help soothe an upset digestive system.
#3 – Jungle Pet Dog Probiotics for Dogs – Dog Probiotic Paste and Digestive Enzymes – Probiotic Paste for Dogs Digestive Support – 30 CC
Jungle Pet Dog Probiotics for Dogs is a digestive supplement designed to support healthy gut and digestion in dogs. It contains live probiotics and digestive enzymes that promote proper gut flora and enhance digestive function. The product is suitable for use during stressful times such as travel or training, and it is manufactured in the USA in small batches to ensure quality and freshness.
#4 – Endurosyn Probiotic Oral Gel for Dogs, 32 gm
The Endurosyn Probiotic Oral Gel for Dogs is a product developed and tested by the makers of vet-recommended Advantage flea and tick protection. It is designed to be used during or just before stressful situations such as traveling, kenneling, or training to help maintain a balanced GI system in dogs. The oral gel contains prebiotics and probiotics, electrolytes, triglycerides, and amino acids and can also be used after antibiotic therapy, deworming, or digestive upset. It is important to note that this product should not be given to animals with known poultry allergies and should be kept out of reach of children and animals.
#5 – Pet Health Pros Probiotic Oral Paste for Dogs & Cats – Support Healthy Digestion Probiotic Gel – Anti Diarrhea for Dogs and Cat Probiotics for Diarrhea – for Traveling, Kenneling and Training – 30 cc
The Pet Health Pros Probiotic Oral Paste is a gel that supports healthy digestion in dogs and cats. It helps to relieve upset stomach, gas, diarrhea, and constipation, providing comfort for pets. The probiotic paste is suitable for puppies, kittens, and adult pets, and can be used during traveling, kenneling, training, and in conjunction with therapy and deworming. It is made in the USA with quality ingredients.
#6 – Pet Health Solutions FloraCare G.I. for Dogs & Cats – Dietary Supplement Paste – Healthy Intestinal Tract, Digestion, Bowel Health – Vitamin, Protein, Fat, Fiber – 60 CC, RAPIDCARE60CC
Pet Health Solutions FloraCare G.I. for Dogs & Cats is a dietary supplement paste designed to promote healthy intestinal tract, digestion, and bowel health in pets. It contains a blend of vitamins, proteins, fats, and fiber to support overall gastrointestinal health. The paste is easy to administer and is recommended for pets experiencing occasional gastric distress. Pet Health Solutions is a trusted brand that prioritizes quality and safety, and its products meet the standards set by the National Animal Supplement Council.
#7 – PetAg Bene-Bac Plus Pet Gel – FOS & Probiotics Gel Supplement with Naturally Occurring Microorganisms – 1 Count (15 g Syringe)
The PetAg Bene-Bac Plus Pet Gel is a gel supplement designed to provide nutritional support for pets. It contains Fructooligosaccharide (FOS), a prebiotic that supports the growth of probiotic organisms. The gel also contains Lactobacillus Acidophilus, which is found in healthy digestive tracts. It is a helpful solution for dogs in adverse conditions such as showing, breeding, traveling, or post-birth, and may also aid in the growth of bottle-fed newborns. PetAg is known for delivering high-quality products for both pet owners and animal professionals.
What Should I Consider When Choosing a Probiotic Gel or Paste for My Dog?
- Strain of Probiotics: Different strains of probiotics serve different purposes, so it’s important to choose a product that contains strains known to support canine health. Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species are commonly used in dog probiotics.
- CFUs (Colony Forming Units): This is a measure of the viable bacteria or yeast in the probiotic. Products with higher CFU counts often provide more potent health benefits.
- Ingredients: Look for natural ingredients and avoid products that contain artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Some products also include prebiotics, which support the growth and activity of probiotics.
- Consistency and Flavor: Your dog might prefer a certain texture or flavor, so take their preferences into account. Some dogs might find pastes more appealing, while others might prefer gels.
- Vet Recommended: It’s always best to consult your vet before starting any new supplement regimen. They can help you choose the right product based on your dog’s specific needs and health status.
Remember, every dog is unique, and what works for one might not work for another. Always monitor your dog’s reaction to a new supplement and adjust as necessary.
What Are The Benefits of Gel Probiotics vs Soft Chews, Liquids, and Powders?
Each form of probiotics—gels, soft chews, liquids, and powders—comes with its own set of benefits. Gel probiotics often stand out for a few reasons:
- Easy Administration: Probiotic gels are typically easy to administer as they can be squeezed directly into your dog’s mouth, or added to their food. This can be especially beneficial for dogs that resist swallowing pills or chews.
- Fast Absorption: As they are applied directly to the tongue or mixed with food, gel probiotics are absorbed quickly into the body, which might result in quicker effects.
- Less Mess: Unlike powders, which can be messy and difficult to measure, gels are usually pre-measured, reducing the chances of incorrect dosage.
- Long Shelf Life: In comparison to liquids, gels often have a longer shelf life and do not need to be refrigerated, making them convenient for travel or outdoor use.
- Palatability: Many probiotic gels are flavored, making them more palatable to dogs than other forms of supplements.
It’s important to note that while gel probiotics have their benefits, the best choice will depend on your dog’s specific needs and preferences, as well as your own convenience and budget. Always consult with your vet before introducing a new supplement to your dog’s diet.
Frequently Asked Questions About Probiotic Pastes for Dogs
- What are probiotic pastes for dogs? Probiotic pastes for dogs are supplement formulations designed to support a dog’s gut health. They are usually thick and are administered directly into a dog’s mouth or mixed with food. The paste contains live beneficial bacteria to help restore or maintain the balance of the gut microbiome.
- Why should I consider giving my dog a probiotic paste? Probiotic pastes can support your dog’s digestive health, potentially reducing issues like diarrhea, gas, and bloating. They can also support your dog’s immune system, as a significant portion of it is located in the gut. Plus, they’re easy to administer, especially for dogs who resist swallowing pills or chews.
- How do I administer probiotic pastes to my dog? Probiotic pastes can be administered directly into your dog’s mouth or mixed into their food. The dosage will depend on the specific product and your dog’s size and health condition. Always follow the product’s instructions and consult with your vet if unsure.
- Are there any side effects of probiotic pastes? Probiotic pastes are generally safe for dogs, but side effects may occur. These can include temporary digestive upset like gas and bloating. If your dog experiences persistent or severe side effects, stop giving the paste and consult with your vet immediately.
- Can I give my dog a probiotic paste every day? Yes, most probiotic pastes are designed to be given daily, but the exact dosage and frequency will depend on the specific product and your dog’s needs. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and your vet’s advice.
- How quickly will I see results from using a probiotic paste? The time it takes to see results can vary depending on your dog’s specific health issues. Some dogs may see improvements in digestive symptoms within a few days, while others may take a few weeks. For general gut health maintenance, you might not see noticeable changes but it’s contributing to their overall wellness.
- Does my dog need a probiotic paste if they’re already eating a balanced diet? Even if your dog eats a balanced diet, they may benefit from a probiotic paste, especially if they have digestive issues, are on antibiotics, or are under stress, all of which can disrupt the gut microbiome. It’s best to consult with your vet to determine if a probiotic paste is needed.
- Can puppies use probiotic pastes? Yes, most probiotic pastes are safe for puppies. However, you should always check the product’s label for any age restrictions and consult with your vet before giving any new supplements to a puppy.
- Can probiotic pastes expire? Yes, like any supplement, probiotic pastes have a shelf life. You can usually find the expiration date on the product’s packaging. It’s important not to use the product past this date, as the potency and safety of the probiotics cannot be guaranteed.
- Can I give my dog human probiotic paste? It’s not recommended to give your dog human probiotics as the beneficial bacteria strains needed can differ between humans and dogs. Always choose a product specifically formulated for dogs and consult with your vet before starting any new supplement.
Conclusion: Best Probiotic Pastes & Gels for Dogs
Choosing the right probiotic paste or gel for your dog can significantly enhance their quality of life, aiding digestion, boosting immunity, and supporting overall well-being. While the market is filled with various options, your pet’s individual needs and preferences should always be a priority. Remember, what works best for one dog may not be the same for another. Always consult with your vet before introducing any new supplement to your dog’s diet. With the right product and proper administration, your dog can enjoy the full benefits of probiotics, paving the way for a happier, healthier life.