iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Administering medication to our furry companions can sometimes be a challenging feat, especially when they turn their noses up at unfamiliar tastes or textures. Enter the realm of dog pill dispensers—a godsend for pet owners everywhere. These nifty tools, designed specifically to ease the process, can make medication time a breeze. In this article, we delve into the best dog pill dispensers available in the market, ensuring that your canine receives the care they need without the usual fuss.
#1 – QIYADIN Cat Pill Shooter Pet Piller Gun Dog Pill Shooter Cat Tablet Soft Tip Syringe Pet Medical Feeding Dispenser Tool for Small Animal
The QIYADIN Cat Pill Shooter Pet Piller Gun is a tool designed for pet owners to easily administer solid medications to their cats or small animals. It comes with two silicone soft tips, one for holding small pills and the other for feeding liquids. The product is made of high-quality silicone and is reusable and washable. Users should ensure the tips are tightly secured to the tube and should not insert the tips into the back of the pet’s throat to avoid any potential complications. Correct usage involves touching the pills to the front of the throat and using the push rod to release the tablet for the pet to swallow.
#2 – 2 Pieces Pet Pill Plunger Popper for Small Cats Dogs Pill Gun Dispenser Shooter Pet Piller Soft Tip Tablet Syringe Pusher Animal Medicine Feeder for Feeding Accessories (Green)
The 2 Pieces Pet Pill Plunger Popper is a portable pet pill feeding syringe that comes with various accessories. It is designed with a soft silicone hose that is safe for pets and can be reused after cleaning. Its compact size and light weight make it convenient to carry and use. The syringe is practical and useful for fast and convenient feeding of tablets, capsules, and can also be used for feeding baby animals. It comes with two different styles of feeding tubes for pills and liquids.
#3 – iHeartDogs Probiotic Pill Paste Wrap for Dogs – 4 oz Chicken & Bacon Flavored Pill Masker for Picky Dogs – Hide Medication in This Tasty Hide-A-Pill Dough
The iHeartDogs Probiotic Pill Paste Wrap for Dogs is a tasty chicken and bacon-flavored pill masker designed to help dogs easily take their medication. This wrap works with any size or shape of pill and can be molded to fit any shape. It contains probiotics that support a healthy digestive system, and it is made with healthy oils like coconut oil and sunflower oil. It is easy to use by simply pinching off enough to cover the medication and wrapping it until the dose is hidden.
#4 – Pet MD Wrap A Pill Cheese & Bacon Flavor Pill Paste for Dogs – Make a Pocket or Pouch to Hide Pills & Medication 4.2 oz
The Pet MD Wrap A Pill Cheese & Bacon Flavor Pill Paste for Dogs is a convenient solution for pet owners who struggle to give medication to their dogs. The product allows users to create pill pouches of any size to hide pills and medication. The cheese and bacon flavor of the paste makes it highly palatable for dogs, reducing the stress of pill time. Additionally, the low-calorie formulation of the pill paste helps to keep the pet on track with their medication and diet.
#5 – TAOZUA Pet Pill Dispenser, Pet Piller Gun Oral Tablet Capsule,Silicone Syringes for Cats, Dogs and Small Animals
The TAOZUA Pet Pill Dispenser is a versatile tool designed for pet owners to safely and easily administer oral medication to their pets. It features a pet piller gun and liquid syringe, making it suitable for both pill capsules and liquid medication. The dispenser is made from tough polystyrene, making it safe, durable, washable, and reusable. It is also suitable for a variety of small animals and comes with easy-to-follow instructions for use.
#6 – Gulpz Probiotic Pill Hiding Treats for Dogs – Hide, Hold & Deliver Pet Meds, Fortified for Digestive Health, Immune & Recovery Support – Hickory Chicken Flavor – Pill at Will! (60ct Pocket)
The Gulpz Probiotic Pill Hiding Treats for Dogs is a unique dog chew that not only helps deliver medication to dogs but also supports digestive health. With a tasty chicken flavor that disguises the pill taste, dogs easily consume the treat. Developed by industry experts and recommended by veterinarians, Gulpz contains a patented formula that includes natural ingredients to promote a healthy gut and immune system. Made in the USA with high-quality ingredients, Gulpz is a convenient and healthy option for administering medication to dogs.
#7 – GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor, 15.8 oz. Value Pack (60 Treats)
Greenies Pill Pockets Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats are a convenient and tasty way to give your dog their medication. Made with natural ingredients and trace nutrients, these treats have a chicken flavor that dogs love. The pill pockets mask the smell and taste of medicine, making it easier for your dog to take their medication. Simply drop the tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your dog a tasty snack. These vet-recommended treats make medicating your dog a positive experience for both of you.
What Are The Best Ways to Get a Dog to Take a Pill?
Getting a dog to take a pill can be a bit tricky, but with patience and a few tried-and-true methods, it can be made much easier:
- Pill Pockets: These are specially designed treats with a pocket to place the pill inside. The tasty treat masks the smell and taste of the pill, enticing the dog to consume it.
- Camouflaging in Food: Sometimes, simply hiding the pill in a piece of cheese, a spoonful of peanut butter, or wrapped in deli meat can do the trick. However, always make sure that the food used doesn’t interfere with the medication or contain any harmful ingredients for dogs.
- Crushing the Pill: Some pills can be crushed and then mixed into wet food. Always consult with a veterinarian before doing this, as some medications may lose their efficacy when crushed.
- Use a Pill Dispenser: Pill dispensers are tools that can hold the pill and allow you to place it directly into the back of the dog’s throat. This method minimizes the chances of the dog spitting it out.
- Liquid Medications: If your dog consistently refuses pills, ask your veterinarian if the medication comes in a liquid form. This can sometimes be easier to administer with a dropper or syringe.
- Soft Gel Pills: These types of pills can sometimes be punctured, and the liquid inside can be squeezed onto the dog’s food.
- Training and Positive Reinforcement: Teaching your dog to take a pill through positive reinforcement can be effective. After they swallow the pill, immediately reward them with praise and a treat.
- Compounding Pharmacies: Some pharmacies can turn pills into flavored chews or liquids that are more palatable to dogs.
- Professional Administration: If all else fails, consider having a veterinary professional administer the pill. Some dogs may be more cooperative in a clinical setting.
- Consult with Your Vet: If you’re finding it consistently challenging, it’s essential to communicate with your veterinarian. They can offer additional strategies or alternative medication forms.
Remember, the goal is to ensure your dog receives the necessary medication without causing undue stress to you or your pet. It might take some trial and error, but with persistence, you’ll find a method that works best for your furry friend.
What Should I Consider When Purchasing a Pill Dispenser for My Dog?
When purchasing a pill dispenser for your dog, it’s crucial to consider various factors to ensure a smooth and stress-free medication administration process:
- Size of the Dispenser: The size of the pill dispenser should be appropriate for the size of your dog. For instance, a large dispenser might be difficult to use with a small-breed dog and vice versa. Ensure the dispenser can comfortably fit into your dog’s mouth and hold the pill securely.
- Material: Look for pill dispensers made of durable and safe materials. Soft rubber or silicone tips can be gentle on a dog’s mouth and gums, while a sturdy handle ensures a good grip for the owner.
- Ease of Cleaning: The pill dispenser should be easy to clean to maintain hygiene. Removable parts or a design that allows for thorough cleaning can be beneficial.
- Grip and Comfort: Consider a dispenser with an ergonomic design. A non-slip grip will give you better control, especially if your dog is resistant.
- Safety Features: Some dispensers come with safety features, like a guard or barrier, to prevent you from placing the pill too deep or hurting the dog’s throat.
- Versatility: It’s an added advantage if the dispenser can hold different pill sizes or shapes, especially if your dog is on multiple medications or if you anticipate changes in the future.
- Ease of Loading: A dispenser that’s easy to load ensures that you can quickly and securely place the pill inside without it falling out during administration.
- Durability: Especially if your dog is on long-term medication, investing in a durable dispenser can be more cost-effective in the long run.
- Price and Brand Reputation: While you don’t necessarily need the most expensive option, reputable brands might offer better quality and durability. Check reviews and recommendations to get a sense of user satisfaction.
- Storage: Some dispensers come with storage cases or pouches, which can be useful for keeping it clean and ensuring longevity.
Remember, the goal of using a pill dispenser is to make the process of giving medication easier and more efficient for both you and your dog. It’s always a good idea to introduce any new tool in a positive manner, using treats and praise, to ensure your dog has a comfortable and stress-free experience.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Pill Dispensers
- What is a dog pill dispenser? A dog pill dispenser is a tool designed to aid pet owners in giving their dogs medication in pill or capsule form. It typically holds the pill securely and allows for easier insertion into the dog’s mouth, minimizing the risk of being bitten.
- Why would I need a pill dispenser for my dog? Using a pill dispenser can make administering medication simpler and safer, especially if a dog is resistant or hesitant to take pills. It helps reduce the need to use your fingers, lowering the risk of accidental bites.
- Can I use a pill dispenser for any size or breed of dog? Yes, but it’s important to select a pill dispenser appropriate for your dog’s size. Some dispensers are designed specifically for small breeds, while others are better suited for larger dogs.
- Are dog pill dispensers safe to use? When used correctly, pill dispensers are safe. Many designs incorporate safety features like barriers or guards to prevent placing the pill too deep or injuring the dog’s throat.
- How do I introduce my dog to a new pill dispenser? Start by letting your dog sniff and investigate the dispenser without a pill. You can also associate it with positive rewards like treats and praise. Over time, they’ll become more comfortable with the tool, making medication time less stressful.
- Can I use the same pill dispenser for different medications? Yes, but ensure the dispenser is thoroughly cleaned between different medications to avoid cross-contamination or mixing residues.
- How often should I replace a dog pill dispenser? The frequency of replacement depends on the material and durability of the dispenser. If it shows signs of wear or damage, or if it no longer holds pills securely, it’s time for a replacement.
- Can I wash or sanitize the pill dispenser? Most pill dispensers are made of materials that can be washed with mild soap and water. Always check the manufacturer’s guidelines and ensure it’s thoroughly dried before next use.
- Is it better to use a pill dispenser or hide the pill in food? Both methods have their merits. Some dogs might easily take a pill hidden in food, while others may spit it out. A pill dispenser offers a direct method of administration, but the best method depends on your dog’s preferences and the specific medication.
- Where can I buy a dog pill dispenser? Dog pill dispensers are available at pet supply stores, veterinary clinics, and online retailers. It’s essential to read reviews and perhaps seek recommendations from your vet or fellow dog owners to find a reliable product.
Remember, regardless of the method you choose, always follow the vet’s instructions when administering medication and monitor your dog for any adverse reactions.
Conclusion: Best Dog Pill Dispensers
Finding the right tool to help our dogs take their medication shouldn’t add stress to an already concerning time. With the right pill dispenser, both you and your dog can experience a hassle-free process, prioritizing their health and well-being. Whether your preference leans towards pill pockets, push-plungers, or crushers, the ideal solution is out there. May your dog’s medication journey be smooth, ensuring they’re on the path to wellness in no time.