iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
When it comes to ensuring your dog’s health and well-being, nothing should be left to chance. Among the various aspects of canine health, the thyroid gland plays a crucial role. This small but mighty organ is responsible for producing hormones that regulate essential functions in your dog’s body, including metabolism and body temperature. If your dog is diagnosed with a thyroid condition or is at risk, a quality thyroid supplement can be a beneficial addition to their diet. This article aims to provide you with comprehensive insights into the best thyroid supplements available for dogs, helping you make an informed decision for your four-legged friend.
#1 – Nutrition Strength Thyroid Supplement for Dogs, Support for Hypothyroidism in Dogs with Organic Bladderwrack, Promotes Normal Function of Endocrine and Enzyme Systems, 90 Soft Chews
The Nutrition Strength Thyroid Supplement for Dogs is a highly-rated product designed to support healthy thyroid function in dogs. It contains organic bladderwrack and other herbs that have been shown to provide support for dogs with hypothyroidism. The supplement aims to promote normal function of the endocrine and enzyme systems in dogs, helping to boost metabolism and increase oxygen consumption. Manufactured in the USA, the product is made with high-quality ingredients and meets strict animal supplement manufacturing guidelines.
#2 – Only Natural Pet Canine Thyroid Wellness
Only Natural Pet Canine Thyroid Wellness is a supplement that supports healthy thyroid function in dogs. It uses a blend of herbs and co-factors to promote normal endocrine, hormonal, and enzyme systems, as well as immune function. The key ingredient, bladderwrack, provides iodine which is essential for thyroid health and metabolism. This supplement is made in the USA with human-grade ingredients and follows sustainable practices. It is important to consult with a veterinarian before use, especially if the pet has a medical history or is on medication.
#3 – Pet Wellbeing – Thyroid Support Silver for Dogs – Natural Support for Hypothyroidism & Under Active Thyroid in Canines – 2oz (59ml)
Pet Wellbeing – Thyroid Support Silver is a natural supplement for dogs with hypothyroidism and an underactive thyroid. It supports the maintenance of thyroid hormone levels and helps to maintain energy levels in dogs. Additionally, it supports the adrenal glands and the immune system, improving the health of the dog’s skin and coat. The supplement is made from organically grown and selectively imported herbs from trusted growers.
#4 – Dogzymes Organic Norwegian Kelp for Pets, a Valuable Nutrition Source Rich in Iodine to Support Gland Function, Especially The Thyroid (12 Ounce)
Dogzymes Organic Norwegian Kelp for Pets is a 12-ounce nutrition source that contains valuable iodine to support gland function, particularly the thyroid gland. It enhances immune function, promotes healthy skin and coat, aids in healing, and improves coat pigmentation. Additionally, it helps provide trace minerals that may be lacking in our environment, aids in digestion, boosts appetite and supports heart health.
#5 – Raw Paws Organic Sea Kelp for Dogs & Cats, 8-oz – Iodine Rich for Thyroid, Digestive & Immune Health – Seaweed Powder for Dogs, Sea Kelp for Cats, Kelp Supplement for Dogs, Dried Kelp Powder for Dogs
Raw Paws Organic Sea Kelp for Dogs & Cats is an 8-oz supplement that provides various health benefits for pets. It contains over 60 immune-boosting nutrients that support a healthy immune system. The seaweed powder is rich in iodine, making it ideal for supporting thyroid health and metabolism in pets with autoimmune diseases and hypothyroidism. Manufactured in a GMP-compliant facility and made with 100% organic sea kelp, this product is recommended by veterinarians and is backed by a satisfaction guarantee.
What Supplements Can Help My Dog’s Thyroid?
Several types of supplements can support a dog’s thyroid function. Here are some key ones:
- Iodine: This essential mineral is required for thyroid hormone production. A deficiency can lead to hypothyroidism, which is a common thyroid disorder in dogs. Seaweed or kelp supplements often provide iodine.
- L-Tyrosine: This is an amino acid that combines with iodine to form thyroid hormone. Supplements containing L-tyrosine can support thyroid health and function.
- Vitamins A, B, C, and E: These vitamins can help support overall immune health and are beneficial for dogs with thyroid issues.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: These fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties, which can be beneficial for dogs with thyroid conditions. They’re typically found in fish oil supplements.
- Selenium: This is an essential trace element that plays a crucial role in thyroid hormone synthesis. A supplement containing selenium can help ensure your dog gets enough.
Remember, it’s important to consult with your vet before starting your dog on any new supplement, especially if your dog is already on medication for a thyroid condition. It’s also essential to use a supplement designed specifically for dogs, as human supplements may contain ingredients or dosages that aren’t safe for dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Thyroid Supplements for Dogs
- What is the purpose of thyroid supplements for dogs? Thyroid supplements are designed to support the proper functioning of a dog’s thyroid gland. They typically contain nutrients that aid in thyroid hormone production, which regulates metabolism and affects nearly every organ in the body.
- Can thyroid supplements replace medication for dogs with hypothyroidism? No, thyroid supplements should not be used as a substitute for prescribed medication in dogs with hypothyroidism or other thyroid conditions. While they can support thyroid health, they cannot replace the specific hormone replacement therapy that hypothyroid dogs need.
- What ingredients should I look for in a thyroid supplement? Ingredients that support thyroid health include iodine, L-tyrosine, vitamins A, B, C, and E, selenium, and Omega-3 fatty acids. Always choose a supplement designed for dogs, and consult with your vet before starting any new supplement.
- Are there side effects to giving my dog a thyroid supplement? Side effects are typically minimal but could include gastrointestinal upset. It’s important to follow dosing instructions and monitor your dog for any changes. If you notice anything concerning, contact your vet.
- Can I give my dog a human thyroid supplement? No, it’s not advisable to give your dog a supplement designed for humans. The dosages and additional ingredients might not be suitable or safe for dogs.
- How long will it take to see results from a thyroid supplement? It can take several weeks to months to see noticeable changes in your dog’s health after starting a thyroid supplement. Remember, these supplements are designed to support overall thyroid health, not to treat acute symptoms.
- Can a dog without thyroid issues benefit from a thyroid supplement? While these supplements are generally safe, they’re usually recommended for dogs with known thyroid issues. Always consult your vet before starting any supplement regimen.
- Can puppies take thyroid supplements? Generally, puppies shouldn’t need thyroid supplements unless recommended by a vet. Puppies have different nutritional needs than adult dogs, so always consult a professional.
- Will a thyroid supplement interfere with my dog’s current medication? Some supplements may interact with certain medications. Always tell your vet about any supplements your dog is taking to avoid potential interactions.
- Can thyroid supplements help my dog lose weight? If your dog is overweight due to hypothyroidism, supporting thyroid health may help with weight management. However, supplements alone will not cause significant weight loss. A balanced diet and regular exercise are also crucial.
Conclusion: Best Thyroid Supplements for Dogs
Thyroid health is fundamental to your dog’s overall wellness, and the right supplement can play a supportive role in managing thyroid conditions. In this article, we’ve explored some of the best thyroid supplements for dogs, detailing their ingredients and benefits. However, it’s crucial to remember that supplements should not replace any medication prescribed by your vet, but instead, serve to enhance your dog’s health alongside conventional treatments. As always, consult with your vet before making any changes or additions to your dog’s dietary regimen. Here’s to the health and happiness of your beloved companion!