iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
As we delve further into natural remedies and holistic health approaches for our pets, the benefits of various herbs and supplements are becoming increasingly apparent. One of these is the slippery elm, a tree native to North America, which is known for its numerous health benefits. This article explores the best slippery elm supplements for dogs, helping you make an informed decision when it comes to supporting your canine’s health and well-being with this potent plant.
#1 – Herbsmith Organic Slippery Elm – Digestive Aid for Dogs and Cats – Constipation and Diarrhea Relief for Dogs and Cats – Megaesophagus Dog Aid- 75g
The Herbsmith Organic Slippery Elm is an all-natural, USDA organic herb that is formulated to aid in digestion for dogs and cats. It is a single-ingredient herb, free from GMOs, pesticides, additives, irradiation, and preservatives. Slippery elm is known for its digestive properties and can help ease diarrhea in pets, support dogs with megaesophagus by coating the esophagus and reducing inflammation, and alleviating constipation. It is recommended by holistic veterinarians and has been used in practice for years to treat gastrointestinal issues in pets.
#2 – Wonder Labs Slippery Elm Bark Powder, Supports and Promotes a Healthier Digestive Tract for Your Pet
The Wonder Labs Slippery Elm Bark Powder is a pure and additive-free product that supports a healthier digestive tract for pets. It is widely recommended by owners of dogs with Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) and has shown to be helpful in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Small Intestinal Dysbiosis (SID). The powder is made in the USA in an FDA-registered facility and is commonly used for pets with digestive disturbances such as diarrhea and constipation.
#3 – Animal Essentials Slippery Elm Herbal Extract for Dogs & Cats, 1 fl oz – Bowel & Respiratory Health, Made in USA, Alcohol-Free
The Animal Essentials Slippery Elm Herbal Extract is a 1 fl oz product designed for dogs and cats to support their bowel and respiratory health. Made in the USA, this alcohol-free formula helps promote healthy digestive functions and normal waste elimination for normal bowel function. It is also helpful for occasional bouts of coughing and contains a synergistic mix of plant mucilage, tannins, and polysaccharides.
#4 – Nutrition Strength Slippery Elm for Dogs Complex for Digestive Health, Gut Flora, Diarrhea & Bowel Support, Boost Immunity, Slippery Elm Bark for Dogs + Fennel, Plantain & Licorice, 90 Soft Chews
The Nutrition Strength Slippery Elm for Dogs Complex is a supplement designed to support digestive health in dogs. It contains slippery elm bark, licorice, fennel, and plantain, which have been shown to have beneficial effects on gut flora and bowel movement frequency. Additionally, slippery elm has been used for centuries to alleviate coughing, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues in both humans and animals. The product is non-GMO and made with high-quality ingredients to ensure the safety of pets.
What Are The Benefits of Slippery Elm for Dogs?
Slippery elm, also known as Ulmus rubra, is a tree native to North America and its bark has been used for centuries as a medicinal remedy for various ailments. For dogs, slippery elm can offer several notable benefits:
- Gastrointestinal Health: The main benefit of slippery elm is its ability to soothe the gastrointestinal tract. Its mucilaginous property forms a slick gel when mixed with water, which coats and soothes the mouth, throat, stomach, and intestines. This makes it particularly beneficial for dogs suffering from constipation, diarrhea, or irritable bowel syndrome.
- Respiratory Relief: The same coating action that helps the GI tract can also soothe irritated throats and help alleviate coughing or bronchitis symptoms.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Slippery elm also has anti-inflammatory properties and can help relieve inflammation in the gut as well as other parts of the body.
- Nutrition: Slippery elm bark is rich in nutrients like vitamin C, iron, zinc, magnesium, and potassium. It also contains beneficial antioxidants.
- Wound Healing: It’s also been traditionally used topically for the treatment of wounds, burns, and inflammation.
Despite these benefits, always consult your vet before giving your dog slippery elm or any other herbal supplement to ensure it’s safe and appropriate for your pet’s specific needs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Slippery Elm Supplements for Dogs
- What is slippery elm? Slippery elm is a type of tree native to North America, and its inner bark has been used for centuries for its medicinal properties. It contains a substance called mucilage, which when mixed with water, forms a gel-like substance that can soothe the digestive tract.
- How does slippery elm benefit dogs? Slippery elm can support your dog’s digestive health by soothing the gastrointestinal tract, thanks to its mucilaginous property. It can help with conditions such as constipation, diarrhea, or irritable bowel syndrome. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and can offer relief for irritated throats and coughs.
- Is slippery elm safe for all dogs? While slippery elm is generally safe for many dogs, it’s important to consult with your veterinarian before introducing any new supplement to your pet’s diet. This is especially crucial if your dog has chronic health issues or is currently on medication.
- Can I use human-grade slippery elm for my dog? Yes, but it’s important to get the dosage right, which is why products designed specifically for dogs may be preferable. Always check with your vet for the correct dosage if you’re using a human supplement.
- How do I give slippery elm to my dog? Slippery elm is typically available in powder form, which can be mixed with your dog’s food. It’s also available in capsule and liquid forms. Always follow the dosing instructions provided by the manufacturer or your vet.
- Can slippery elm help my dog’s cough? Yes, the mucilage in slippery elm can soothe irritated throats and may help to alleviate coughing or bronchitis symptoms in dogs. However, if your dog has a persistent cough, it’s important to see a vet to rule out more serious conditions.
- Will slippery elm help my dog’s skin issues? Traditionally, slippery elm has been used topically to treat wounds, burns, and inflammation. However, it’s crucial to consult with your vet before using it or any other supplement to treat skin conditions.
- Are there any side effects of slippery elm in dogs? While slippery elm is generally safe, it can, in some cases, cause nausea, vomiting, or allergic reactions in dogs. If you notice any adverse reactions in your dog, stop using the supplement and consult with your vet immediately.
- Can I give slippery elm to my dog daily? It’s generally safe to give slippery elm to dogs daily, but the duration and dosage should be determined by your vet, based on your dog’s specific needs and health condition.
- Can slippery elm interact with my dog’s medication? Yes, slippery elm can potentially interfere with the absorption of certain medications. Therefore, if your dog is on any medication, you should consult your vet before giving your dog this supplement.
Conclusion: Best Slippery Elm Supplements for Dogs
In conclusion, the world of natural remedies opens up an array of potential health benefits for our four-legged friends, with slippery elm supplements being among the most versatile and effective options. Remember, as with all supplements and treatments, it’s essential to consult your vet before introducing something new to your dog’s diet or health regimen. The best slippery elm supplements for dogs are those that fit your pet’s specific needs and offer the utmost quality and reliability, ensuring your furry friend enjoys a happier, healthier life.