iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
A vital part of ensuring your dog’s overall health is taking good care of their oral hygiene. Dental diseases can lead to significant problems if left untreated, affecting not only your pet’s mouth but also their internal organs. One simple and effective method to maintain your dog’s oral health is the use of dental gels. These are easy to use, often loved by dogs, and can contribute significantly to your dog’s dental hygiene routine. In this article, we will be exploring the best dental gels for dogs that are available in the market today.
#1 – TropiClean Fresh Breath for Dogs | No Brush Dental Gel for Dogs | Dog Dental Gel & Toothpaste for Plaque, Tartar & Stinky Breath | Made in the USA | 4 oz.
The TropiClean Fresh Breath for Dogs is a dental gel and toothpaste designed to improve dogs’ oral health without requiring brushing. The gel is formulated with natural ingredients and a spearmint flavor to reduce bad breath, plaque, and tartar buildup. It can be easily applied by placing two drops on each side of the dog’s mouth, allowing the gel to coat all surfaces of their teeth and gums. TropiClean offers a range of products for complete dog dental care.
#2 – Oratene Brushless Toothpaste Gel for Dogs and Cats, 2.5oz
The Oratene Brushless Toothpaste Gel is a clear gel with a pleasant flavor designed to maintain the cleanliness and freshness of your pet’s teeth and gums. It is easy to use, as it can be applied with a toothbrush or finger without the need for brushing or rinsing. This non-drying dental care is suitable for everyday use and does not cause excessive salivation. It is free from xylitol, alcohol, detergents, and harsh chemicals, ensuring gentle and painless oral care. The toothpaste gel is 100% safe and non-toxic, supporting normal healthy oral hygiene in dogs and cats.
#3 – Bodhi Dog Pet Dental Gel | New Thicker Formula | Plaque Remover & Breath Freshener | Toothpaste for Dogs and Cats | Made in USA | 8oz (240ml)
The Bodhi Dog Pet Dental Gel is an alcohol-free toothpaste for dogs and cats that helps combat bad breath and promote oral health. With a blend of peppermint, spearmint, and aloe vera, the gel effectively neutralizes odors and reduces tartar buildup. It can be easily applied at home and does not require rinsing, making it a convenient option for pet owners. Made in the USA with natural ingredients, the product is recommended by veterinarians and is produced by a small family-owned business with a commitment to sustainability and animal welfare.
#4 – Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste | Teeth Cleaning and Fresh Breath Dental Care Gel | Vet Formulated | 3.5 Ounces
Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste is a dental care gel formulated by veterinarians to provide a soothing and effective solution for dogs’ oral health. It contains natural ingredients such as aloe, neem oil, grapefruit seed extract, baking soda, and enzymes that freshen breath and gently clean away plaque and tartar. This product can be used as part of a regular dental hygiene routine between annual cleanings at the veterinarian’s office, and its natural flavors make it enjoyable for dogs.
#5 – Twist + Lick Oral Gel for Dogs | Continuously Cleans Teeth and Freshens Breath for 24 Hours | Tasty Chicken Flavor | Vet Formulated Dental Care for Dogs | Ditch The Toothbrush
The Twist + Lick Oral Gel for Dogs is a vet-formulated dental care product that aims to clean a dog’s teeth and freshen their breath for 24 hours. It utilizes patented ProLong technology, which gradually releases active ingredients over time to clean the dog’s mouth. The gel is easy and enjoyable to use, as dogs can simply lick the tasty chicken-flavored gel without the need for a toothbrush. Additionally, the product helps remove plaque and tartar build-up, promoting healthy gums and preventing gum disease.
#6 – Dechra DentAcetic Dental Gel for Dogs and Cats 2 oz
The Dechra DentAcetic Dental Gel is a 2 oz product designed to improve oral hygiene for both dogs and cats. It effectively removes and prevents the buildup of plaque, while also cleaning and deodorizing the teeth. Additionally, this dental gel helps to brighten the teeth, ultimately promoting dental health for pets.
What Are The Benefits of Dental Gels for Dogs?
Dental gels for dogs offer several benefits that can contribute significantly to your dog’s oral health:
- Effective Plaque and Tartar Control: Dental gels contain ingredients that can help control the buildup of plaque and tartar on your dog’s teeth. This, in turn, can prevent the onset of dental diseases like periodontal disease.
- Freshens Breath: One of the most immediate benefits of using dental gels is fresher breath for your dog. These gels often contain breath-freshening ingredients that help eliminate bad breath.
- Easy to Use: Dental gels can be easier to use than traditional toothbrushing, particularly for dogs that are not comfortable with a toothbrush in their mouth. Most gels can simply be applied to the gums and teeth, and the dog’s tongue does the rest of the work.
- Soothes Gum Irritation: Some dental gels also contain ingredients like aloe vera that can help soothe gum irritation.
- Preventive Care: Regular use of dental gels can contribute to preventing severe oral health issues, reducing the chances of your dog needing invasive dental procedures in the future.
However, it’s important to note that dental gels should be used as part of a broader dental care routine and not as a sole solution for oral health. Regular vet check-ups, a healthy diet, and, if possible, manual teeth brushing are all critical for maintaining your dog’s oral health.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dental Gels for Dogs
- What is a dental gel for dogs? Dental gel for dogs is a type of oral care product that helps to clean your dog’s teeth and improve oral health. It often contains enzymes, abrasives, and antibacterials to reduce plaque and tartar, freshen breath, and promote healthier gums.
- How often should I use dental gel on my dog? The frequency of use may vary depending on the specific product instructions, but generally, dental gels can be used daily. Consistent use can lead to better results, such as improved breath and reduced plaque build-up.
- Do dental gels replace brushing my dog’s teeth? While dental gels can be a helpful part of your dog’s dental care routine, they don’t completely replace the benefits of regular brushing. They are best used as a supplement to brushing, especially for dogs that are not cooperative with a toothbrush.
- Can I use human dental gel for my dog? No, human dental products often contain ingredients that can be harmful if swallowed by dogs, such as fluoride. It’s essential to use products specially formulated for dogs.
- Are dental gels safe for my dog? Dental gels designed for dogs are generally safe when used as directed. However, it’s crucial to ensure that the product doesn’t contain xylitol, a sweetener that’s toxic to dogs.
- How do I apply dental gel to my dog’s teeth? Most dental gels are easy to apply – you simply put a small amount on your finger or a dog toothbrush and rub it onto your dog’s teeth and gums. Some gels don’t require brushing and can be applied directly onto the gums.
- Does my dog need to rinse after applying the dental gel? No, dog dental gels are designed to be ingested and do not require rinsing. This makes them a convenient option for dogs that might not tolerate brushing or rinsing.
- Can dental gels help with my dog’s bad breath? Yes, many dental gels have ingredients designed to combat bad breath. They can help reduce the bacteria that cause bad breath, providing a fresher smell.
- What should I do if my dog doesn’t like the taste of the dental gel? Dental gels come in various flavors. If your dog doesn’t like one flavor, you can try another. Many dogs prefer meat-flavored dental gels.
- Can dental gels cure my dog’s gum disease? While dental gels can help prevent gum disease by reducing plaque and tartar build-up, they can’t cure existing gum disease. If your dog shows signs of gum disease, such as swollen gums, bad breath, or difficulty eating, you should consult a vet.
Conclusion: Best Dental Gels for Dogs
In conclusion, investing in a high-quality dental gel for your dog can make a significant difference in their oral health and overall wellbeing. However, remember that these products should be part of a comprehensive oral care regimen, which includes regular veterinary check-ups, a balanced diet, and other oral care practices. Make sure to consider your dog’s specific needs when selecting a product and consult with your vet if you have any concerns. With the right approach, you can keep your dog’s smile bright and healthy for years to come.