iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
The joy of creating homemade meals for your dog goes beyond just serving tasty dishes. It’s about ensuring your four-legged friend gets the balanced and nutritious diet they need to thrive. In recent years, meal mix bases for homemade dog food have gained popularity, offering a simple solution to provide your pup with essential nutrients, while allowing the flexibility to add fresh, whole foods. This article explores the best meal mix bases available on the market for those keen on preparing homemade meals for their dogs.
#1 – JustFoodForDogs DIY Human Quality Dog Food, Nutrient Blend Base Mix for Dogs – Fish and Sweet Potato Recipe (5.92 oz) – Packaging May Vary
JustFoodForDogs DIY Human Quality Dog Food is a nutrient blend base mix that allows dog owners to create healthy meals for their pets in their own kitchens. The Fish and Sweet Potato recipe is grain-free and made with ingredients that are fit for human consumption. It is designed for dogs with sensitive stomachs and promotes a healthier coat and skin. The product includes an easy-to-follow cooking guide and is developed and approved by veterinarians.
#2 – Dr. Harvey’s Canine Health Miracle Dog Food, Human Grade Dehydrated Base Mix for Dogs with Organic Whole Grains and Vegetables (10 Pounds)
Dr. Harvey’s Canine Health Miracle Dog Food is a dehydrated base mix that allows dog owners to easily create balanced and homemade meals for their pets. The food is made entirely from human-grade ingredients, including organic whole grains and vegetables, without any preservatives, dyes, chemicals, or fillers. By feeding their dogs this nutrient-dense food, owners may see improvements in their pet’s digestion, coat, energy levels, and overall health. With a 10-pound bag of this mix, dog owners can make up to 66 meals for their four-legged friends.
#3 – The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Grain Free Fruit & Veggie Base Mix Dog Food (Just Add Protein), 7 lb Box
The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Grain Free Fruit & Veggie Base Mix Dog Food is a versatile and convenient option for pet owners who prefer to cook or feed their dog’s raw diets. This base mix takes care of the time-consuming task of chopping up fruits and vegetables, allowing owners to simply add their own choice of meat or fish for a balanced meal. The product is made with human-grade ingredients in a human food facility, ensuring a higher level of quality and safety. It is also free from preservatives, by-products, fillers, GMO ingredients, corn, wheat, and soy.
#4 – Dr. Mercola Meal Mix for Adult Dogs, 30 Packets, Non-GMO, Soy Free, Gluten Free
Dr. Mercola Meal Mix for Adult Dogs is a packet of dog food mix that is non-GMO, soy-free, and gluten-free. It is made in the USA with human-grade vitamins and minerals, allowing pet owners to create a balanced homemade meal for their dogs quickly and easily. The product is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee for unsatisfied customers.
#5 – The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Whole Grain Dog Food – Complete Meal or Topper – Chicken 10 lb (makes 40 lbs)
The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Whole Grain Dog Food is a complete and balanced meal option for dogs. It can be served alone as a homemade meal or used as a topper for dry food. The recipe is made with human-grade ingredients and is free from preservatives, by-products, fillers, GMO ingredients, corn, wheat, or soy. The brand is also a certified B Corporation, indicating its commitment to social and environmental performance.
#6 – Grandma Lucy’s Artisan Pre-Mix Dog Food, Grain Free and Freeze-Dried – 8Lb Bag
Grandma Lucy’s Artisan Pre-Mix Dog Food is a high-quality and natural option for dog owners looking to provide a nutritious and balanced meal for their pets. This grain-free and freeze-dried formula contains wholesome ingredients, including fruits, vegetables, and herbs, without any fillers, preservatives, or GMOs. While it is meant for intermittent or supplemental feeding, the pre-mix can be combined with cooked or raw proteins to create a satisfying meal for dogs. It also boasts great taste, as the freeze-drying process retains the flavor, texture, and aroma that dogs enjoy. Just add water and let it stand for a few minutes before serving.
#7 – Grandma Lucy’s PUREformance Pre-Mix Dog Food, Grain Free and Freeze-Dried – 3Lb Bag
Grandma Lucy’s PUREformance Pre-Mix Dog Food is a grain-free and freeze-dried dog food that provides a wholesome blend of high-quality ingredients, freeze-dried fruits, vegetables, and chickpeas. It contains limited ingredients and does not include fillers, by-products, GMOs, or preservatives. The product is meant to be added to a cooked or raw protein source for intermittent or supplemental feeding. Additionally, the freeze-drying process helps retain the taste, texture, and aroma that dogs enjoy, and the food can be easily prepared by adding water.
#8 – JustFoodForDogs DIY Human Quality Dog Food, Nutrient Blend Base Mix for Dogs – Turkey and Whole Wheat Macaroni Recipe (7.02) – Packaging May Vary
JustFoodForDogs DIY Human Quality Dog Food is a nutrient blend base mix that allows dog owners to create healthy meals for their pets in their own kitchens. The blend includes a recipe for Turkey and Whole Wheat Macaroni, and when combined with other fresh ingredients, it provides a balanced and low-fat diet for dogs. The product is vet-developed and vet-approved, with a focus on using trusted ingredients to promote a healthier coat and skin.
#9 – Dr. Harvey’s Paradigm Green Superfood Dog Food, Human Grade Dehydrated Grain Free Base Mix for Dogs, Diabetic Low Carb Ketogenic Diet (Trial Size 5.5 oz)
Dr. Harvey’s Paradigm Green Superfood Dog Food is a dehydrated grain-free base mix for dogs. It is made with six nutritious dehydrated vegetables and contains no fillers, wheat, corn, soy, or preservatives. The product is easy to prepare and can be customized with your choice of protein and oil. It is ideal for dogs with diabetes who are seeking a low-carb ketogenic diet. Made in the USA, Dr. Harvey’s Paradigm allows dog owners to take control of their pet’s health and choose a quality protein source.
Tips for Choosing a Meal Mix Base For Your Dog’s Homemade Dog Food
Choosing the right meal mix base for your dog’s homemade food can be a game-changer when it comes to your pet’s health. Here are some tips to help you select the right one:
- Nutritional Balance: The meal mix base you choose should have a balance of essential nutrients like proteins, carbs, fats, vitamins, and minerals. It should be vet-formulated to ensure it meets the nutritional requirements of your dog.
- Quality Ingredients: Look for a meal mix base that uses high-quality, natural ingredients. Avoid those that contain artificial preservatives, colorings, or flavors. Non-GMO, organic, or human-grade ingredients are a good indication of quality.
- Suitability for your dog: Consider your dog’s specific needs based on their breed, age, size, weight, and health condition. Some meal mix bases may be specifically formulated for puppies, seniors, or dogs with specific health concerns.
- Easy to Prepare: Choose a mix that’s easy to prepare and compatible with the fresh foods you plan to add. It should ideally require minimal cooking time and effort.
- Dog’s Preference: Of course, your dog has to like it too. Some dogs may prefer certain flavors or textures over others, so take note of your dog’s preferences when making your selection.
- Cost: While cost should not be the primary determining factor, you should consider a meal mix base that provides good value for the cost.
Remember, it’s always a good idea to consult with your vet or a pet nutritionist when making major changes to your dog’s diet. They can provide personalized advice based on your dog’s specific health needs.
Why Is Important That a Homemade Dog Food is Balanced?
Balanced homemade dog food is vital because dogs, much like humans, need a variety of nutrients to maintain optimal health. Each nutrient plays a specific role in the body. Proteins provide essential amino acids and are needed for the growth, maintenance, and repair of body tissues. Fats provide energy, help absorb certain vitamins, and are essential for skin and coat health. Carbohydrates supply energy and help with brain function.
Additionally, vitamins and minerals, which must be provided in the right amounts and ratios, support a wide array of physiological functions. For instance, calcium and phosphorus are necessary for bone health, while vitamin A is essential for vision and immune function.
If a homemade diet is not balanced, it may lead to nutrient deficiencies or excesses, which can have serious health implications. Deficiencies can lead to a variety of health problems, such as a weak immune system, poor skin and coat condition, and skeletal issues, among others. On the other hand, an excess of certain nutrients can also be harmful. For instance, too much calcium can interfere with the absorption of other minerals and lead to skeletal problems, especially in large-breed puppies.
Therefore, it’s important to ensure a homemade diet is nutritionally balanced. It’s recommended to consult with a vet or a certified animal nutritionist to help formulate a balanced homemade diet for your dog.
Frequently Asked Questions About Meal Mix Bases for Homemade Dog Foods
- What is a meal mix base for homemade dog food? A meal mix base for homemade dog food is a pre-mixed supplement designed to provide all the necessary vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients your dog needs. You simply add the base to the meat, vegetables, and carbohydrates of your choice to create a balanced, homemade meal for your dog.
- How does a meal mix base benefit my dog’s diet? A meal mix base helps ensure that your homemade dog food is nutritionally balanced. It fills in the nutritional gaps that may be present in homemade meals, providing your dog with a complete range of essential nutrients that may be difficult to achieve with home ingredients alone.
- Can I feed my dog only the meal mix base? No, a meal mix base should be used as a supplement to your homemade food, not as a standalone meal. The base is designed to work in conjunction with protein sources, vegetables, and carbohydrates to provide a well-rounded diet.
- Is a meal mix base suitable for all dogs? Yes, meal mix bases can be suitable for all dogs, but each dog’s individual nutritional requirements should be considered. You should always consult with a veterinarian or a certified pet nutritionist before making significant changes to your pet’s diet.
- Can I use a meal mix base for a puppy? Yes, but ensure the meal mix base is appropriate for puppies as they have different nutritional requirements than adult dogs. Always consult with your vet for the best diet plan for your puppy.
- Does using a meal mix base mean I don’t have to consult with a nutritionist or vet about my dog’s diet? No, even with a meal mix base, it’s still important to consult with a pet nutritionist or veterinarian. They can provide specific advice based on your dog’s breed, age, size, health status, and lifestyle.
- Are all meal mix bases the same? No, the composition of meal mix bases can vary significantly between brands. Always read the ingredients and nutritional analysis to ensure the product meets your dog’s nutritional needs.
- Can I use a meal mix base if my dog has food allergies? Yes, meal mix bases can be beneficial for dogs with food allergies since you control the other ingredients in the meal. However, ensure that the base itself does not contain anything your dog is allergic to.
- How do I know how much meal mix base to use in my homemade dog food? The amount of meal mix base to use typically depends on your dog’s weight, age, and activity level. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions or consult with a pet nutritionist to determine the correct amount.
- Is a meal mix base a more expensive option for feeding my dog? The cost of using a meal mix base can vary based on the brand, ingredients, and size of your dog. However, considering the nutritional benefits it provides, many pet owners find it a worthwhile investment in their dog’s health.
C0nclusion: Best Meal Mix Bases for Homemade Dog Food
In conclusion, meal mix bases offer an exceptional way to ensure your dog benefits from a wholesome, homemade diet without the guesswork of balancing all the nutrients yourself. While each product brings unique benefits, your choice will depend on your dog’s individual needs, preferences, and any dietary restrictions they may have. Always remember to transition gradually when introducing a new diet, and consult your vet to ensure you’re making the best nutritional choices for your beloved canine companion. Enjoy the journey of crafting homemade meals, knowing you’re contributing positively to your pet’s health and well-being.