iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
When it comes to managing Cushing’s disease in dogs, it’s all about providing a holistic approach to care. Although medication plays a significant role in managing this condition, nutritional support through the right supplements can be a vital complementary approach. The following article aims to provide you with a comprehensive guide on the best supplements for dogs with Cushing’s disease, highlighting the benefits they bring to your canine companion’s health and how they can alleviate symptoms related to this ailment.
#1 – Adrenal Balance for Dogs with Cushing’s | Naturally Relieves Symptoms of Cushing’s Disease in Dogs | Licorice Free Herbal Formula for Dogs with Cushing’s Disease | by Prana Pets
Prana Pets Adrenal Balance is a natural herbal formula that aims to relieve symptoms of Cushing’s Disease in dogs. It can be administered orally or added to their food, helping to support hormonal balance and the body’s ability to cope with stress. Unlike other treatments that merely suppress symptoms, this licorice-free formula aims to restore the entire HPA axis, promoting improved energy levels, healthy skin and coat, and a normal appetite. Prana Pets prides itself on its holistic approach to pet health and wellness, with all products made in the USA and tested for safety.
#2 – Nutrition Strength Adrenal Support for Dogs, Support for Dogs with Cushing’s Disease, Maintain a Healthy Coat and Skin, Promote Normal Urination, Thirst, and Appetite, 120 Chewable Tablets
Nutrition Strength Adrenal Support for Dogs is a supplement designed to support dogs with Cushing’s disease. The chewable tablets contain a blend of organic herbs known for their positive effects on the endocrine system, including the adrenal glands. This supplement aims to promote a healthy coat and skin, as well as encourage a balanced endocrine system and a healthy weight and appetite. Manufactured in the USA, the tablets are made with high-quality ingredients and meet strict animal supplement manufacturing guidelines.
#3 – Lignans & Melatonin Blend Naturally Aids in Relieving Symptoms of Cushing’s Disease in Dogs | Helps Promote Healthy Adrenal Balance & Overall Well-being | by Prana Pets | 1 MG Melatonin, 10 MG Lignans
The Lignans & Melatonin Blend by Prana Pets is a natural supplement that aims to relieve the symptoms of Cushing’s Disease in dogs. It contains 1 MG of melatonin and 10 MG of lignans, which work together to promote healthy adrenal balance and overall well-being in dogs. This product is formulated using natural ingredients and may help with hair loss, high cortisol levels, hyperactivity, restlessness, and separation issues. Prana Pets is committed to providing safe and effective holistic health and wellness products for pets, all made in the USA and tested by third-party labs. They also offer a money-back guarantee for customer satisfaction.
#4 – Pet Wellbeing Adrenal Harmony Gold – Vet-Formulated – for Dog Cushing’s, Adrenal Health, Cortisol Balance – Natural Herbal Supplement 2 oz (59 ml)
Pet Wellbeing Adrenal Harmony Gold is a vet-formulated herbal supplement designed to support dogs with Cushing’s disease, adrenal health, and cortisol balance. It contains a blend of adaptogenic and nervine herbs that help optimize adrenal gland function and promote balanced cortisol levels. This supplement aims to improve the overall quality of life for dogs by addressing symptoms such as discomfort, anxiety, and stress. It is made in the USA with high-quality ingredients and comes with a money-back guarantee.
#5 – Adrenal Balance for Dogs and Cats – Cushing’s Treatment for Pets, Adrenal Support w/Ashwagandha, Licorice Root, Rhodiola Rosea – 2oz Herbal Drops
Adrenal Balance for Dogs and Cats is a natural supplement designed to provide adrenal support and relief from symptoms caused by Cushing’s syndrome in pets. It is a holistic herbal remedy made with ingredients like licorice, ashwagandha, and rhodiola rosea, which promote healthy adrenal function and improve overall well-being. The supplement is easy to administer and has a taste that even picky pets will enjoy. Made in the USA with 100% natural ingredients, this product is suitable for pets of all breeds and ages.
#6 – Fifth & Fido Adrenal Support for Dogs, Herbal Kidney Support for Dogs, and Natural Cushings Treatment for Dog Kidney Support with Astragalus and Licorice Root – (Liquid, 4 FL OZ)
Fifth & Fido offers a liquid adrenal support supplement for dogs that aims to stabilize cortisol levels naturally. It contains all-natural ingredients, without any additives or fillers commonly found in other dog kidney health supplements. This formula may assist with occasional urinary issues and promote healthy kidney function in dogs of all ages. By supporting a balanced endocrine system, it may improve overall well-being and help address symptoms such as lack of energy, hair loss, and bloating that could be related to kidney problems in dogs.
What Supplements Might be Beneficial for a Dog with Cushing’s Disease?
Cushing’s disease is a complex disorder that affects a dog’s endocrine system. While treatment often includes specific medications, certain supplements can help support overall health and alleviate symptoms. Here are some supplements you might consider:
- Adrenal Support Supplements: Certain herbal blends are designed to support the health of the adrenal glands, which are often impacted by Cushing’s disease. Look for ingredients like ashwagandha and Rhodiola rosea.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: These support overall health, reduce inflammation and can improve the quality of a dog’s skin and coat, which can be affected by Cushing’s disease.
- Milk Thistle: This plant has been used traditionally to support liver health. As Cushing’s disease can strain the liver, a supplement like milk thistle might be beneficial.
- Melatonin: Melatonin is often recommended for dogs with Cushing’s disease. It can help to regulate sleep cycles and has been reported to inhibit adrenal corticosteroid synthesis.
- Dandelion Root: This can support liver health and aids in maintaining the proper balance of fluids in a dog’s body.
- Probiotics: Given that Cushing’s disease can lead to gastrointestinal disturbances, probiotics may help maintain healthy gut flora and improve digestion.
Remember, it’s crucial to consult your veterinarian before starting any new supplement regimen to ensure it’s appropriate for your dog’s unique condition and won’t interact negatively with other medications your dog may be taking.
Frequently Asked Questions About Supplements for a Dog with Cushing’s Disease
- What is Cushing’s disease in dogs? Cushing’s disease, or hyperadrenocorticism, is a condition that occurs when a dog’s body produces too much cortisol, a hormone released by the adrenal glands. This can result from benign or malignant tumors in the pituitary or adrenal glands. Symptoms can include excessive thirst, increased urination, hair loss, and a pot-bellied appearance.
- Can supplements cure Cushing’s disease in dogs? No, supplements cannot cure Cushing’s disease. It is a serious condition that requires veterinary intervention and potentially medication. However, some supplements can help support overall health and alleviate some symptoms associated with the disease.
- Why might my dog with Cushing’s disease need supplements? Dogs with Cushing’s disease often suffer from a range of symptoms that may be alleviated by certain supplements. These can include skin and coat issues, increased thirst and urination, appetite changes, and lethargy.
- How can omega-3 fatty acids help a dog with Cushing’s disease? Omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial for dogs with Cushing’s disease as they can support overall health, reduce inflammation, and improve the quality of a dog’s skin and coat.
- Why is milk thistle recommended for dogs with Cushing’s disease? Milk thistle is often recommended because it can support liver health. Cushing’s disease can put a strain on the liver, so supplements that support liver function can be beneficial.
- How does melatonin help dogs with Cushing’s disease? Melatonin can help regulate sleep cycles in dogs with Cushing’s disease and has been reported to inhibit adrenal corticosteroid synthesis, which can be helpful in managing the symptoms of this condition.
- Are probiotics beneficial for dogs with Cushing’s disease? Probiotics may be beneficial as Cushing’s disease can lead to gastrointestinal disturbances. They help maintain a healthy gut flora, which can improve digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Can I start giving my dog these supplements without consulting a vet? It’s crucial to consult your veterinarian before starting any new supplement regimen to ensure it’s appropriate for your dog’s unique condition and won’t interact negatively with other medications your dog may be taking.
- Are there any side effects to giving my dog these supplements? While many supplements are generally safe for dogs, each can have potential side effects. It’s important to discuss these with your vet and monitor your dog for any adverse reactions.
- How long will it take for supplements to make a difference in my dog’s condition? The effects of supplements can vary widely depending on the supplement, the dog’s overall health, and the severity of Cushing’s disease. Some may show improvements within a few weeks, while others may take several months. It’s essential to maintain open communication with your vet to assess effectiveness and adjust dosages or supplement choices as needed.
Conclusion: Best Supplements for Dogs with Cushing’s Disease
A well-rounded treatment plan for Cushing’s disease in dogs involves not only appropriate medical intervention but also nutritional support through supplements. By considering the information shared in this article, pet owners can make informed decisions about which supplements will best support their dog’s health condition. Always remember to consult with your vet before starting any new supplement regimen to ensure it aligns with your pet’s specific needs and ongoing treatments. Your furry friend’s wellness is paramount, and by providing them with the right care, you can ensure they live a comfortable and joyful life, even with Cushing’s disease.