iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
As a conscientious pet parent, you’re likely always on the lookout for ways to support the health and well-being of your canine companion. With the rising trend of natural supplements, ginkgo biloba has emerged as a popular choice among dog owners. Derived from the leaves of the ginkgo tree, this herbal supplement is touted for its potential health benefits, particularly its brain-boosting capabilities. This article delves into the top ginkgo biloba supplements for dogs, comparing quality, effectiveness, and user feedback to guide you to the best options.
#1 – iHeartDogs Senior Super 7 Daily Dog Multivitamin – 7-in-1 Vitamin for Dogs Supports Anti-Aging with Antioxidants and Probiotics for Longevity and Cognitive Boost
The iHeartDogs Senior Super 7 Daily Dog Multivitamin is a comprehensive 7-in-1 vitamin designed to support the overall health and well-being of senior dogs. It promotes longevity by providing antioxidant support and boosting cognitive function. Each purchase of this product also contributes to providing 14 healthy meals to shelter dogs. The natural cognitive boost helps reduce stress and aids in improving memory, attention, and mood regulation. Ingredients such as ashwagandha, turmeric, fish oil, and probiotics aid in reducing inflammation, boosting the immune system, and improving vision and ocular health.
#2 – Ceretrix for Small Dogs – Vitamins, Minerals, L-Theanine, Ginkgo Biloba – Supplement for Cognitive Functioning – 60 Soft Chews
Ceretrix for Small Dogs is a supplement specifically designed to support cognitive functioning in small dogs. It contains L-Theanine, Ginkgo Biloba, and 9 other ingredients that are known to improve mental functioning. The supplement comes in the form of soft chews which are easy to administer and are palatable for dogs. Manufactured in an FDA and USDA-inspected facility and recommended by veterinarians, this product provides a convenient way to support cognitive health in small dogs.
#3 – GNC Pets ADVANCED Cognitive Support for Dogs, 90 ct | Chicken Flavored Soft Chews for Dogs with Turmeric, Ginkgo Biloba, Ashwagandha to Support Cognitive Health | Made in the USA
GNC Pets ADVANCED Cognitive Support for Dogs is a supplement designed to support cognitive function in dogs. It comes in the form of easy-to-swallow chicken-flavored soft chews. The product contains natural ingredients such as turmeric, ginkgo biloba, and ashwagandha to promote cognitive health. GNC Pets is a US-based brand that prioritizes safety and quality in its products. The recommended dosage is 1 soft chew for dogs up to 25 lbs, 2 chews for dogs between 25 to 50 lbs, and 4 chews for dogs weighing 51 lbs and over, to be given in divided doses throughout the day.
#4 – Herbsmith Senior Dog Wisdom – Dog Dementia Supplement – DHA for Senior Dog Brain Health – Senior Supplement for Dogs- 60ct Large Chews
Herbsmith Senior Dog Wisdom is a supplement designed to support healthy brain function in senior dogs and manage symptoms of doggie dementia. The veterinarian-developed formula includes ingredients like L-Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Branched Chain Amino Acid, Ginkgo Biloba, and DHA, which are known to support cognitive health. This natural alternative provides long-term results as the ingredients build up in the pet’s system over time. It is recommended by veterinarians and is made in the USA by a reputable holistic veterinarian with over 30 years of experience.
#5 – Nutrition Strength Cognitive Support for Dogs, Promotes Dog Brain Health, Mental Support for Old Dogs, Supplement for Dogs with Cognitive Difficulties, 120 Chewable Tablets
The Nutrition Strength Cognitive Support for Dogs is a supplement designed to promote brain health and mental support in older dogs. Made with ingredients like phosphatidylserine and vitamin E, this formula aims to improve nerve cell communication and reduce behavioral changes associated with aging. Suitable for dogs of all breeds, sizes, and ages, these chewable tablets are easily digested and made with high quality ingredients in the USA.
What Are The Benefits of Ginkgo Biloba for Dogs?
Ginkgo biloba is an ancient plant extract that has been used in traditional medicine for centuries. While more research is needed to fully understand its effects in dogs, several potential benefits have been suggested based on studies in humans and general knowledge of the supplement.
- Cognitive Function: One of the most widely recognized benefits of ginkgo biloba is its potential to support brain health. It’s often used as a natural remedy for age-related cognitive decline, as it may improve memory and mental processing.
- Circulation: Ginkgo biloba is thought to improve blood flow, which can potentially aid in delivering oxygen and nutrients more efficiently to various parts of the body, including the brain.
- Antioxidant Properties: Ginkgo biloba contains antioxidants, which can help combat harmful free radicals in the body, potentially slowing down the aging process and preventing diseases.
- Anxiety and Behavior: Some pet owners and veterinarians use ginkgo biloba to help manage behavioral issues and anxiety in dogs, although scientific support for this use is currently limited.
Remember, while ginkgo biloba could have potential benefits for your dog, it’s essential to consult with your veterinarian before starting any new supplement regimen to ensure it’s safe and right for your pet’s specific needs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ginkgo Biloba Supplements for Dogs
- What is Ginkgo Biloba? Ginkgo Biloba is a natural supplement derived from the leaves of the Ginkgo Biloba tree. It’s been used in traditional medicine for centuries, especially for its potential benefits to brain health and circulation.
- How does Ginkgo Biloba benefit dogs? Ginkgo Biloba is believed to enhance cognitive function, improve blood circulation, and offer antioxidant benefits. These effects may be beneficial in aging dogs, those with memory issues, or dogs suffering from poor circulation.
- Is Ginkgo Biloba safe for dogs? While Ginkgo Biloba is generally considered safe for dogs in appropriate doses, it’s crucial to consult with your veterinarian before starting any new supplement regimen. Like any supplement, it can have side effects and may not be suitable for all dogs, especially those with certain health conditions.
- What are the potential side effects of Ginkgo Biloba in dogs? Some dogs might experience mild gastrointestinal upset, such as diarrhea or vomiting, with Ginkgo Biloba supplements. It’s also possible for ginkgo to interact with other medications your dog is taking, which is why it’s crucial to speak with a vet before giving it to your pet.
- How much Ginkgo Biloba should I give my dog? The appropriate dosage of Ginkgo Biloba for your dog depends on their weight, age, and overall health status. It’s essential to follow your veterinarian’s instructions or the guidelines provided by the supplement manufacturer.
- Can I give my dog human Ginkgo Biloba supplements? While some human supplements can be safe for dogs, it’s generally best to stick to products specifically designed for pets. Human supplements might contain higher doses or additional ingredients that aren’t safe for dogs.
- When should I consider giving Ginkgo Biloba to my dog? If your dog is aging and showing signs of cognitive decline, or if they have circulation issues, Ginkgo Biloba might be considered. Always consult with your vet first.
- Can Ginkgo Biloba be given to puppies? Ginkgo Biloba is usually used for age-related issues in dogs and is not typically recommended for puppies. Always consult with your vet before introducing any new supplement to your puppy’s diet.
- How long does it take for Ginkgo Biloba to work in dogs? As a natural supplement, it might take several weeks or months before you see noticeable improvements in your dog’s health or behavior after starting Ginkgo Biloba.
- What should I do if my dog has an adverse reaction to Ginkgo Biloba? If your dog shows signs of an adverse reaction, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or behavioral changes, stop giving them the supplement and contact your vet immediately.
Conclusion: Best Ginkgo Biloba Supplements for Dogs
With a broad understanding of ginkgo biloba’s potential benefits and the factors to consider when choosing a supplement, you’re now better equipped to make an informed decision. Whether your aim is to support cognitive function, improve blood flow, or simply bolster your pet’s overall health, there’s likely a ginkgo biloba supplement to suit your needs. However, remember that even the best supplements should be used as part of a balanced approach to canine health, which includes a nutritious diet, regular exercise, and routine veterinary care. Always consult your vet before introducing new supplements into your dog’s regimen to ensure their safety and well-being.