Are you looking for a way to save your dog’s Pepcid prescription? Our Rx Discount Card for Pets can save you up to 80% of your pet’s Pepcid.
What Pharmacies Accept This Pepcid Coupon Card for Pets?
This card is accepted at over 60,000 participating pharmacies in the US, including:
How Much Will My Pet’s Pepcid Cost Using This Coupon?
In order to view a real-time pricing estimate, please use our pricing lookup tool here.
How Do Prescription Discount Cards for Pets Work? How Can It Help Me Save On My Dog’s Pepcid Prescription?
Prescription discount cards for pets work similarly to those for humans. When you sign up for a card, you’ll receive a membership that allows you to access lower prices for medications. Here’s how it typically works:
- Sign-Up: Most pet prescription discount cards are free to join. You sign up online or through a mobile app, and once you’ve registered, you’ll receive your card digitally (or by mail, in some cases).
- Pharmacy Participation: These discount cards are typically accepted at a wide range of pharmacies. This can include big-name chains, as well as local, independent pharmacies. It’s always best to check if your pharmacy accepts the discount card.
- Discounted Medications: When you go to purchase your pet’s medication, you present the card (or the digital version on your phone) to the pharmacist. The card provides the pharmacist with a group number, BIN, and PCN to process the medication at a discounted rate. The discounts come from pre-negotiated prices that the discount card company has established with the pharmacy.
- Pay the Lower Price: You’ll then pay the lower price directly to the pharmacy.
With regards to Pepcid (famotidine), keep in mind that this medication is available over the counter (OTC), so it might be cheaper to purchase it OTC than through a prescription, even with a discount. Always compare prices before making a purchase. Additionally, confirm with your vet that an OTC version is appropriate for your pet; in some cases, the prescription version may be necessary.
It’s also important to remember that not all medications will be covered under a discount card, and the discounts can vary. Always consult with your pharmacist to understand the potential cost savings.
What Are Some Common Reasons Pepcid is Prescribed for Dogs?
Pepcid is a brand name for the drug famotidine, which is commonly used in dogs to help reduce the production of stomach acid. Here are a few reasons why a veterinarian might prescribe Pepcid (famotidine) for a dog:
- Gastritis: Gastritis, or inflammation of the stomach lining, can cause symptoms such as vomiting and loss of appetite. Reducing stomach acid with Pepcid can often help soothe the stomach lining and alleviate these symptoms.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux: Famotidine can also be used to treat conditions like gastroesophageal reflux (acid reflux), a condition where stomach acid backs up into the esophagus and causes discomfort or damage.
- Ulcers: Famotidine can be used to prevent and treat ulcers in the stomach or intestines. These ulcers can sometimes be caused by the use of certain medications, like NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
- Mast Cell Tumors: Dogs with mast cell tumors can have excess histamine released into their bodies, which can stimulate the production of stomach acid. Famotidine, as a histamine blocker, can help manage this.
- Pre-Anesthetic: It is sometimes used before anesthesia to help reduce the risk of aspiration pneumonia.
It’s important to note that while Pepcid can be bought over the counter, it should only be used in dogs under the direction of a veterinarian, as inappropriate use can cause side effects and may mask underlying disease. Always follow your vet’s dosage and administration instructions carefully.
What Are Some Other Ways I Can Save Money on My Pet’s Pepcid Prescription?
Here are a few strategies that could help you save money on your pet’s Pepcid (famotidine) prescription:
- Compare Prices: The cost of medications can vary from one pharmacy to another. Don’t hesitate to call around and ask for the cost of the medication.
- Ask for a Generic Version: If your vet has prescribed a brand-name medication, ask if a less expensive generic version is available and would be suitable for your pet.
- Over-the-Counter: Pepcid (famotidine) is a medication that’s available over-the-counter. Depending on the dose your pet requires, it might be cheaper to purchase it over-the-counter rather than through a prescription. Always ask your vet if this is a suitable option for your pet.
- Buy in Bulk: If your pet will be on the medication for a long period, buying in larger quantities can sometimes be more cost-effective.
- Online Pharmacies: Some online pharmacies may offer the medication at a lower price. However, be cautious and make sure the pharmacy is reputable. Look for the Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (Vet-VIPPS) seal, which signifies the pharmacy meets certain quality standards.
- Pet Insurance: If your pet insurance includes prescription coverage, it may cover a portion of the cost.
- Ask for Help: If you’re really struggling to afford your pet’s medication, talk to your vet. They may know of local charities or programs that can help.
- Therapeutic Alternatives: Discuss with your veterinarian if there are cheaper but equally effective therapeutic alternatives to Pepcid.
Remember, always consult with your vet before making any changes to your pet’s medication plan.