iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD) is a serious health condition in dogs that affects the discs in their spine. These discs can degenerate over time or become damaged due to injury, leading to pain, inflammation, and in severe cases, paralysis. While immediate veterinary attention is critical, there is also a role for nutritional support in managing IVDD. This article aims to guide you through the best dietary supplements that can aid in managing symptoms, promoting healing, and improving the overall quality of life in dogs diagnosed with IVDD.
#1 – iHeartDogs Hip and Joint Supplement for Dogs – Advanced 8-in-1 Dog Joint Supplement Chews with Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Turmeric & MSM – Bacon Flavor, 90 Count
The iHeartDogs Hip and Joint Supplement for Dogs is an advanced 8-in-1 dog joint supplement that contains 8 powerful ingredients including glucosamine, chondroitin, turmeric, and MSM. This supplement aims to support joint health and function in dogs. It also contains antioxidants to combat inflammation and reduce joint distress. The supplement is allergy-friendly, with no added salt, sugar, artificial flavors or colors, making it suitable for dogs with common food allergies and sensitivities. The manufacturing process of the supplement helps to maintain the viability of the active ingredients, ensuring that dogs receive the full benefits of the product.
#2 – iHeartDogs Salmon Oil for Dogs and Cats – Nourishing Skin & Coat Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs Supports Allergy & Itch Relief, Heart Health and Joint Health – 32 oz
The iHeartDogs Salmon Oil for Dogs and Cats is a single-ingredient omega fatty acid source rich in omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9. It is designed to support a healthy immune system, heart health, joint health, and promote healthy skin and coat in pets. The oil provides itch relief, revitalizes dry and itchy skin, and minimizes normal shedding. It is sustainably produced with a mild smell and great taste, and purchasing the product also provides 12 meals for shelter dogs.
#3 – Turmeric Curcumin for Dogs – with 95% Curcuminoids for Hip & Joint + Arthritis Support – Digestive & Mobility + Immune Dog Supplement – with Organic Turmeric, Coconut Oil & BioPerine – 90 Chew Treats
Zesty Paws Turmeric Curcumin Bites are dog chews that contain a blend of organic ingredients to support joint health, digestive function, and immune support. The formula includes organic turmeric and Qmin+ curcumin, with a high concentration of curcuminoids to help alleviate joint pain and protect the digestive and immune systems. The chews also contain BioPerine, sourced from organic black pepper extract, to enhance nutrient absorption. Additionally, coconut oil is included for its joint support and other benefits such as weight management and cognitive function. Zesty Paws is a trusted brand that prioritizes the well-being of pets.
#4 – iHeartDogs Hemp Calming Chews for Dogs – Dog Anxiety Relief Bites with Hemp – Bacon Flavored Dog Calming Treats for Anxiety and Stress
iHeartDogs Hemp Calming Chews for Dogs are soft chews specifically designed to help alleviate anxiety and stress in dogs. With a tasty bacon flavor, dogs enjoy them as treats while benefiting from their calming properties. These chews also claim to promote natural joint mobility in dogs. The product has been third-party tested and approved by the Clean Label Project, ensuring its quality and safety.
#5 – MYOS Canine Muscle & Mobility Chews – Natural Collagen & Glucosamine for Dogs – Bacon Flavor Joint Supplement for Muscle, Bone & Joint Support, 60 Count
MYOS Canine Muscle & Mobility Chews are a natural joint supplement for dogs, designed to improve mobility and support muscle, bone, and joint health. These chews are ideal for dogs with limited movement due to joint pain and stiffness. In addition to joint support, the chews also promote overall dog health, including healthy skin, coat, digestion, and strength. The bacon flavor makes it easy for dogs to take the supplement, and the chews are made with natural ingredients, including collagen and glucosamine, to support optimal canine health. Suitable for dogs of all breeds, sizes, and ages, these chews are made in the USA.
#6 – iHeartDogs Bone Broth for Dogs – Bone Broth & Mushroom Gold Powder Supplement for Immune System Support, Improved Mobility & Flexibility and Natural Detox – Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs
The iHeartDogs Bone Broth for Dogs is a bone broth and mushroom gold powder supplement designed to support the immune system and improve mobility and flexibility in dogs. It contains a mushroom blend, including turkey tail mushroom, known for its immune-boosting properties. The powder can be easily sprinkled over existing dog food, making mealtime enjoyable while providing essential nutrients such as glucosamine and hyaluronic acid for joint health. Additionally, this bone broth powder acts as a natural detox, supporting liver function and promoting overall wellness in dogs.
What Supplements Might Help a Dog with Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD)?
Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD) in dogs is a serious condition that can cause discomfort, pain, and sometimes even paralysis. Alongside conventional veterinary treatments, certain dietary supplements might help manage the condition and support your dog’s overall health:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: These fatty acids, found in fish oil, have powerful anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the spinal cord.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin: These compounds are often used to support joint health, but they can also help maintain the health of the spinal discs and may alleviate some of the discomfort associated with IVDD.
- Turmeric (Curcumin): Turmeric has potent anti-inflammatory properties and can be beneficial for dogs with IVDD. It helps reduce inflammation and can aid in pain management.
- Vitamin E: This is an antioxidant that helps combat oxidative stress, which can be beneficial for dogs suffering from IVDD.
- Vitamin B Complex: B vitamins, especially Vitamin B12, can support nerve health and improve nerve function, which is crucial for dogs with IVDD.
- Probiotics: While not directly related to IVDD, maintaining a healthy gut microbiome is important for overall health and well-being, which can indirectly support recovery and health management in dogs with IVDD.
It’s important to remember that while supplements can provide support, they are not a replacement for veterinary care. Always consult your vet before starting any new supplement regimen for your dog, especially if your dog has a serious condition like IVDD.
Frequently Asked Questions About Supplements for a Dog with IVDD
- What is Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD) in dogs? Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD) is a condition where the cushioning discs between the vertebrae of the spinal column either bulge or burst into the spinal cord space. This can cause pain, nerve damage, and in severe cases, paralysis. It is most common in certain breeds, but it can affect any dog.
- How can supplements help a dog with IVDD? While supplements are not a cure for IVDD, they can support overall health and specific areas related to IVDD. For instance, anti-inflammatory supplements can help manage inflammation, antioxidants can reduce oxidative stress, and vitamins can support nerve health. Supplements should be used in conjunction with prescribed veterinary treatments.
- Which supplements are most beneficial for a dog with IVDD? Omega-3 fatty acids, glucosamine and chondroitin, turmeric, Vitamin E, and B vitamins are often recommended for dogs with IVDD. They have properties that can help reduce inflammation, support nerve health, and contribute to overall well-being.
- Can supplements cure IVDD in dogs? No, supplements cannot cure IVDD. They can, however, support a dog’s health during the treatment and recovery process and may help manage some symptoms. The primary treatment for IVDD should always be guided by a veterinarian and may involve medication, surgery, or physical therapy.
- Are there potential side effects to giving my dog supplements for IVDD? Potential side effects can depend on the type of supplement and your dog’s individual response. Common side effects can include digestive upset or changes in behavior or appetite. Always monitor your dog’s response to a new supplement and consult with your vet if you observe any concerning changes.
- Can I give my dog human supplements for IVDD? Not all human supplements are safe for dogs, and the dosage requirements are often different. It is best to use canine-specific supplements and always consult your veterinarian before introducing any new supplements to your dog’s diet.
- How long does my dog need to take supplements for IVDD? The duration your dog may need to take supplements can depend on several factors including the severity of their IVDD, their response to treatment, and your vet’s recommendation. Some dogs may benefit from lifelong supplementation, particularly if they have chronic symptoms.
- When will I see improvements in my dog after starting supplements for IVDD? Supplements typically take time to show noticeable effects and it may take several weeks to months before you see improvements. Remember, supplements are not a quick fix but rather a part of an ongoing health management strategy.
- Can supplements prevent IVDD in dogs? While certain supplements can support spinal health and overall well-being, there is no evidence to suggest that they can prevent IVDD. Prevention strategies generally focus on factors like diet, exercise, weight management, and careful handling to reduce injury risk.
- Is it safe to give my dog multiple supplements for IVDD? While it can be safe to give your dog more than one type of supplement, it’s important to discuss this with your vet first. Certain supplements can interact with each other or with medications your dog is taking, so it’s important to take a guided approach to supplementation.
Conclusion: Best Supplements for a Dog with Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD)
Navigating the journey of IVDD in dogs can be daunting for pet owners. However, with the right veterinary care, physical therapy, and supportive nutritional supplementation, it’s possible to manage this condition and provide a quality life for our canine companions. We hope that this article has provided valuable insights into the best supplements that can support your dog’s journey with IVDD. It’s important to remember that while supplements can play a beneficial role, they are not a replacement for veterinary care. Always consult your vet before starting any new supplement regimen to ensure that it is suitable and safe for your pet’s specific condition and overall health.