iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Traveling with your dog can be a wonderful experience, allowing you to share adventures and make memories together. However, for some dogs, travel can be a source of anxiety, with unfamiliar environments, different routines, and movement that can lead to stress and discomfort. From car rides to airplane travel, addressing your pet’s anxiety can be crucial for a successful journey. This article will explore the best travel anxiety relief products for dogs, designed to help your canine companion stay calm and comfortable on the road, in the sky, or anywhere your travels may take you.
#1 – Zesty Paws Calming Chews for Dogs – Composure & Relaxation for Everyday Stress & Separation – with Ashwagandha, Organic Chamomile, L-Theanine & L-Tryptophan – Turkey – 90 Count
Zesty Paws Calming Chews for Dogs are turkey-flavored chewable supplements that aim to naturally calm dogs with normal nervous or anxious behaviors. The chews contain organic ingredients such as Ashwagandha and Organic Chamomile, as well as Suntheanine, a form of L-Theanine that promotes relaxation without drowsiness. They may also help with hyperactive behaviors and soothe anxieties related to thunderstorms, fireworks, car rides, or separation. Other ingredients like Organic Ginger Root and Valerian Root are included to further maintain calmness and help the dog cope with external stresses.
#2 – Bach RESCUE REMEDY PET Dropper 20mL, Natural Stress Relief, Calming for Dogs, Cats, & Other Pets, Homeopathic Flower Essence, Thunder, Fireworks & Travel, Separation, Sedative-Free
The Bach RESCUE REMEDY PET Dropper is a natural stress relief product for pets. It contains a blend of natural flower essences that help to ease tension, nervousness, and excitability in dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, birds, and lizards. The calming drops can be used before and during stressful situations such as vet visits, thunderstorms, fireworks, and travel. The formula is developed by a doctor, and is free of artificial flavors/colors, sugar, gluten, major allergens, alcohol, and is non-habit forming. It can be used for pets of all breeds, ages, and weights.
#3 – ADAPTIL Spray 60 mL – Calms & Comforts Dogs During Travel, Veterinary Visits and Stressful Events – The Original D.A.P. Dog Appeasing Pheromone Spray, 60ml – Packaging May Vary
The ADAPTIL Spray is a product designed to help dogs feel calm and comfortable during travel, veterinary visits, and other stressful events. It contains a dog-appeasing pheromone that mimics a mother dog’s natural nursing pheromones, helping to soothe and relax dogs. The spray is easy to use and can be applied to various items, such as collars, blankets, and crates. It is a popular choice among veterinarians and dog owners looking for a drug-free solution to reduce signs of stress in dogs.
#4 – Thundershirt Dog Anxiety Treatment – Gray (Medium)
The Thundershirt Dog Anxiety Treatment is a gray, medium-sized shirt that applies gentle pressure to help dogs calm down during moments of anxiety, fear, and over-excitement. It is effective in soothing dogs during experiences such as fireworks, thunderstorms, separation, travel, vet visits, and more, without the need for training or medication. With a success rate of over 80%, it is recommended by veterinarians and trainers and has been studied and found to effectively calm dogs by leading behavior scientists such as Dr. Temple Grandin. The shirt is lightweight, machine-washable, and suitable for dogs of all stages.
#5 – Calming Collar for Dogs 4 Packs Anxiety Relief Dog Pheromone Collar 60 Days Sustained Release Pheromone Separation Anxiety Stress 25 Inches Size Flexible Adjustable Fits All Small, Medium Large Dog
This product is a pack of four calming collars for dogs that are designed to relieve anxiety and stress. Each collar is individually packaged and releases pheromones for up to 60 days. The collars are waterproof, safe, and made of flexible material that can be adjusted to fit dogs of various sizes. They can be used to improve bad behavior caused by various triggers such as vet visits, thunderstorms, and separation anxiety.
#6 – ThunderEase Dog Calming Pheromone Diffuser Kit | Powered by ADAPTIL | Vet Recommended to Relieve Separation Anxiety, Stress Barking & Chewing, and Fear of Fireworks & Thunderstorms (30 Day Supply)
The ThunderEase Dog Calming Pheromone Diffuser Kit is a product recommended by veterinarians to help relieve separation anxiety, stress barking, chewing, and fear of fireworks and thunderstorms in dogs. It is powered by ADAPTIL, which has been scientifically studied and verified for over 20 years. The product is designed to be an affordable, effective, and easy-to-use solution for reducing dog anxiety, using drug-free methods that mimic a mother’s natural nursing pheromones.
What Should I Look for When Choosing a Travel Anxiety Relief Product for My Dog?
When choosing a travel anxiety relief product for your dog, consider the following factors:
- Nature of Anxiety: Identify what specifically about travel triggers your dog’s anxiety. Is it the motion, the confinement, or the unfamiliarity of new places? Understanding the trigger can help you select the most appropriate product.
- Safety: The product should be safe for your dog. Look for products that are non-toxic, have no side effects, and are recommended by other pet owners and veterinarians. If considering calming supplements or treats, they should be made from natural ingredients and be appropriate for your dog’s size and breed.
- Comfort: If you’re considering products like anxiety wraps or travel crates, they should be comfortable for your dog to wear or stay in for extended periods.
- Effectiveness: Look for products with proven effectiveness. Read reviews from other pet owners, ask for recommendations from your vet, and do your research before making a purchase.
- Ease of Use: Consider how easy it is to use the product. If it’s something you’ll be applying or using regularly (like a spray or wrap), it should be user-friendly.
- Your Dog’s Preference: Remember, each dog is different. What works for one dog might not work for another. Try different products to see which one your dog responds to best.
- Consult a Vet: Always consult your vet before introducing any new products, especially if your dog has a medical condition or is on any medication.
Remember, managing travel anxiety often involves a combination of approaches, including behavior modification techniques and potentially anti-anxiety medication in severe cases. Always consult with a professional for a comprehensive approach to managing your dog’s travel anxiety.
Frequently Asked Questions About Travel Anxiety Relief Products for Dogs
- What causes travel anxiety in dogs? Travel anxiety in dogs can be caused by various factors, including changes in routine, unfamiliar environments, motion sickness, or past negative experiences associated with travel. Dogs are creatures of habit, so anything that disrupts their routine can lead to stress and anxiety.
- Are there natural supplements that can help with my dog’s travel anxiety? Yes, there are several natural supplements available that can help reduce anxiety in dogs. These often contain ingredients like chamomile, valerian root, ginger, or L-theanine. Always consult with your vet before introducing a new supplement into your dog’s diet.
- What is a dog anxiety wrap and how does it work? An anxiety wrap is a vest or wrap that applies gentle, constant pressure to a dog’s torso, similar to swaddling a baby. This pressure can have a calming effect on dogs and can help reduce their anxiety during travel.
- Can a specific type of crate or carrier help with my dog’s travel anxiety? A well-ventilated, secure, and comfortable crate or carrier can help create a safe space for your dog during travel, reducing their anxiety. Familiarizing your dog with the crate before travel and making it comfortable with its favorite toys or blankets can also help.
- How can I use calming sprays to alleviate my dog’s travel anxiety? Calming sprays often contain synthetic dog pheromones or calming essential oils that can soothe your dog’s anxiety. Spray them in your dog’s crate or bedding area before travel. However, be mindful of potential allergies your dog may have.
- What kind of training can help my dog with travel anxiety? Desensitization and counter-conditioning training methods can help your dog associate travel with positive experiences. Start with short trips and gradually increase the duration as your dog gets comfortable.
- Are there any prescription medications for dogs with severe travel anxiety? Yes, in severe cases, your vet may prescribe anti-anxiety medications. These are generally used as a last resort and should be used under the guidance of a vet.
- Can travel anxiety in dogs be cured? With time, patience, and the right approach, many dogs can overcome their travel anxiety. However, it may not be completely ‘cured’ in all dogs, and management of their anxiety might be a lifelong process.
- How soon before travel should I give my dog an anxiety relief product? This depends on the type of product. Some supplements might need to be given an hour before travel, while others might need to be introduced over several days or weeks. Always follow the instructions on the product label.
- What should I do if none of the products seem to work for my dog? If none of the products seem to be working, it’s important to consult with a veterinarian or a professional dog behaviorist. They can provide personalized advice and solutions to manage your dog’s travel anxiety.
Conclusion: Best Travel Anxiety Relief Products for Dogs
As we’ve explored, there are a plethora of products available designed to help alleviate your dog’s travel anxiety. From anxiety wraps to calming sprays and supplements, these tools can significantly enhance your dog’s comfort while traveling. Remember, each dog is unique, and what works for one might not work for another. It might take some experimentation to find the perfect combination of products for your pet. If your dog’s travel anxiety is severe, always consult with a veterinarian or a pet behaviorist. With patience, understanding, and the right tools, travel can become an exciting adventure for both you and your furry friend.